josh zeidner on Thu, 19 Jul 2001 01:02:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Adam Curry: Formats - We need them like we need a hole in the head

 I think Adam Curry is missing something here.  I
think the reason that Napster/Winamp( and all of its
ancillary systems like Freenet, etc ) became popular
because: music is free, and you can get exactly what
you want without any commercials.  What Curry is
implying here is to apply Napster to the same model as
radio( with all the payola and what not ).  Sure, some
people will not notice the difference straight off,
but eventually, people will regard it as the same
thing as radio.  Ultimately, the great thing about
napster was that it levelled the playing field, and
people could easily and immediately download the music
from thier favorite artists, rather than subscribing
to particular 'genres' and allowing others to make
these decisions for them( namely, the music companies
).  I dont think that I have to explain to the people
here is that the greatest artists are the ones that
ulitmately defy the genre definitions as made by the
music companies.

 -josh z