nettime's_sekrit_dekoding_ring on Thu, 2 Aug 2001 04:46:27 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> rzcver cqs digest [oget x2]

Re: <nettime> empire pdf (pdf empire)
     Laurent Oget <loget@zvolve.com>

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:32:39 -0400
From: Laurent Oget <loget@zvolve.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> empire pdf (pdf empire)

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 03:40:28PM -0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> At 5:22 PM -0400 on 7/30/01, Laurent Oget wrote:
>

> > Last time  i checked  their software was  only for  windows
>
> It's a PDF document, not an Adobe e-book document.
>
> PDF readers are available, from adobe, or otherwise, for most platforms,
> including linux and the Mac.

It is an  ENCRYPTED PDF document, which means the only  thing i can do
with it is use adobe's software to view it. I can not cut and paste. I
can not extract the text from  its layout. I can only search and index
it through  their clumsy software. I  can not pipe the  text through a
voice  synthesizer  to read  the  text aloud  to  a  blind friend  or
translate it into braille.

Do not misunderstand  me. i enjoy having an  electronic version of the
text, and i am grateful HUP did it. but it it is not a FREE version of
the text.

There is a  reason why the man who broke this  encryption scheme is in
jail. This  kind of lame  encryption scheme is  the last hope  to turn
bytes into  a commodity. Merchants  need commodity. The  government of
the US is very concerned by the well being of merchants.

Laurent