nettime's semantic descrambler on Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:56:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Empire: pdf and ebook: is there much difference? [2x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> empire pdf (pdf empire)
     "R. A. Hettinga" <rah@shipwright.com>

   Re: <nettime> empire pdf (pdf empire)
     Laurent Oget <loget@zvolve.com>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 23:23:52 -0400
From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah@shipwright.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> empire pdf (pdf empire)

At 11:32 AM -0400 on 8/1/01, Laurent Oget wrote:

> It is an  ENCRYPTED PDF document

No, once again, (and in a lower tone of voice :-)), the document in
question, a PDF version of "Empire", was just a PDF document.

If you have a PDF reader, and, like I said, there are *other* pdf readers
out there besides Adobe's, even in open-source form, and free-as-in-beer or
free-as-in-speech, I expect, and, if you want, you can read it withh one of
those.

In fact, someone *here* just converted it to text, right? I'm not a
gambling man, bit I would bet, if I were, that *they* converted it without
recourse to Adobe software.

Again, the current cryptographer-in-jail flap is about the *e-book*
software, that Adobe has put out, which is different from PDF.

Same thing, but different. Apples and Oranges, or whatever.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
RAH

- --
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@ibuc.com>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA