josh zeidner on Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:17:27 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Information cannot be free [Reynolds, Google, etc]

 keywords: CYBERPOLITICS, CONSTRUCTIVISM, BAUDRILLARD

  I agree with  you.  "Information" cannot be free, it
is entirely on the part of the subject to put it(
data/messages ) in formation.  As Ritchie pointed out,
there are any number of ways at percieving reality(
constructivism ), but the proclimation "information
wants to be free" is one-sided, and fails to see the
whole equation.  It seems to me that it is not
"information" that people want to be free, but rather
the data or messages.  Implying that mediation is the
imperative, a manifesto that has numerous critics(
Baudrillard ).

 keywords: SHANNON, ENTROPY, EDUCATION

  The effect of liberating all data would be
equivalent to having every student in a university sit
in on every class while all professors lecture
simultaneously.  The result: noise, entropy,
anti-information.

 keywords: SEARCH ENGINES, GOOGLE, YAHOO

  The discussion on Google also interests me.  Google
turns the table on the whole noise/information paradox
by introducing a new form of mediation.  Google
formulates data in terms of key-word, purely
lexogrammatic information as opposed to authored
meta-data such as occurs in search engines like yahoo.

 keywords: NLP, BUZZWORDS, FUTILITY, SUBJECTIVITY

  The information sciences will, in the near future
begin to emphasize on natural language processing,
because we have reached the utter limits of digital
information. In order for computers to be more usable
and informative, they must be able to extract more
information out of human languages( through math ).
As these sciences progress you will begin to see much
complaint from authors, as this science destroys all
value of the written word, turning it into digits.  If
you have seen a modern resume( especially in the IT
field ), you may notice the prevalance of the
"buzzword".  Because the resumes are informulated by
keyword, the keyword takes precedence over style and
readability.  If we begin to informulate ALL data in
this way, even our literature will begin to take on
this characteristic( in a way it already has ).  A
regression or a necessary progression?  I guess it
depends on how you look at it.

 keywords: MISANTHROPIC REPROBATES, WRITERS

  -josh zeidner