cisler on Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:05:23 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Nigerian Scams // Now a positive spin

Yes, in spite of the response I gave about the W. African scams, I am also
deeply involved in issues related to connectivity and public access to the
net in Africa (and elsewhere)

I just did a connectivity guide for school principals and am working on one
for what I called the 'S' word--sustainability.

However, I have been fascinated by scams, cons, and flim-flams. The African
ones are just a new twist.  When I lived in Africa, 35 years ago, my village
had no mail service, no phone, no electricity. Just a road.  When people
tried to scam me, it was face-to-face.

Now it's by two-way vsat, 802.11b networks, and hotmail accounts.

Steve Cisler