David Irving on Thu, 6 Sep 2001 23:03:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> What is @XXX? [Re: Stop the G8: Online Demonstration Scheduled]

scotartt wrote:

> naturally 360 is a good number for time; it dives by 2, 3, 6, 9, 12
> etc. 365 days in a year, 360 degrees in a circle, 24 hours, an accidental
> but nonetheless excellent match. who needs base 10 for everything? another
> micro-fascism to add to the pile.

Late response, I know.

Actually the ~360 days/yr, 24 hrs/day, 60 min/hr|degree, 60 sec/min is
_not_ accidental (well, all right, ~360 days/yr is fortuitous) - the
Babylonians used base-60 numbers for most of their calculations,
especially fractional stuff, and we got it from them via the Greeks.

That said, I completely agree that a decimal time system is stupid.
(but if it succeeds a _great_ way to sell a shitload of watches to the
gullible).

Regards,
David