McKenzie Wark on Thu, 1 Nov 2001 02:54:49 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> from hypertext to codework

Andreas writes,

>i fully respect your examples as artistic/literary practices, but in what
>way are jodi, mez, antiorp/nn, sondheim etc. >representatives of open
>processes?... what you describe are machinic processes, yes, but the kinds
>of collaborative practices that heico >idensen talks about (in the
>hypertext world mainly) - i don't see them in your codework examples. is
>artistic codework more authorial than open source programming?

Well, isn't this a collaborative process, this discussion? Isn't
nettime "collaborative filtering?" There's some limitations in what
the examples given might uphold. Its not as if everything is in
the text. I'm more interested in a new way of thinking about the
practice of writing.

Semiotics and structural linguistics have a lot to answer for. They
created a concept of language as a homogemous plane, which then
entered into relations with the world as something external.

What's interesting about Guattari is the anti-linguistics in which
one thinks of the speech act as an element in a heterogeneous,
temporal series. It seems to me timely to think of some of the new
writing practices in those terms.

Hypertext had its roots firmly in a (post)structural linguistics,
and it shows in the early works composed under its sign. All the
action is in the 'text'. There's not a lot of thought about
the hetereogeneous assemblages into which it might enter.