tripDixon && on Thu, 8 Nov 2001 06:28:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Analog to Digital Dj mixes coded language...

pDmakadjstsk:

nice one. I think the toilet network is actually an appropriate metaphor for
a discussion between comprension of network systems, especially analogue
versus digital::: most of us seem to just piss ideas out into the internet
network in a method of textual and image-based expulsion::: ((even if there
are others who constantly hold on to the idea of pre-conceived
expression))::

in the use of the word compact, i was actually reading it as a form of
simplifcation and reduction, and not only as miniaturisation. i see your
point here::  the functionality of bigass analogue beauties (such as old
skool telephones) has completely been superseded by tiny tech (like asian
developed credit card sized cel phones that can control the appliances in
your apartment). nations like malaysia have probably saved billions in
restructuring costs (including nature) so that they get to skip a bit of
heartache in tech-development and jump into the middle of
tech-world-for-everyone. I'd like to know how this effects regional
cultures.  whew.

I was in Laos last year, staying in a villiage that had been "fortunate"
enough to have had electricity installed 3 years previous.  florescent
lights for most shops and restaurants, and of course an internet cafe....
forget radio and TV: these people just jumped a few decades into a western
present. again:: Gibson's "unevenly distributed future..."

another consideration for you:: if punk music is still considered to be the
place where analogue music could end and become as raw is it can get:: does
the digital end rest in the fingertips of an "unlearned" kid scribbling with
a mouse to skool john cage and merzbow at the same time? discard the
physicality of pianos, guitars and vinyal and we might realise that the
history of music really has been miniaturised to a pocket watch that
composes newavantegardepostpop music....

and thanx for the soundtoys.net: but i'm already in there...

tripDixon

&&&&+++++ http://www.mp3.com/tripdixon <<<<<<ooooooo