Karl-Erik Tallmo on Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:16:23 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Behind the Blip: Software as Culture

Thanks Dan and Miles for your input!

At 07.47 -0500 02-01-10, Dan Steinberg wrote:
>As for how quantum computers will be programmed, since they are being designed
>along the same lines as digital computers they will likely be programmed the
>same way. The quantum technology is just that: technology: a means to an end.
>And quantum is a tecnhology that offers 'bigger, faster' but not  'different.

Maybe you are correct, but I still wonder, if quantum computing
involves such a high degree of parallelism as they say, must not
sequential instructions become obsolete? And what about future
computing that is not even binary anymore?

At 13.03 -0700 02-01-10, Miles Nordin wrote:
>First, that you put a markup language ``beneath'' the WYSIWYG display
>is a little unsettling.  That Nisus uses such a language internally is
>probably not far off at all.  Since it's backwards- and
>forwards-compatible with other versions,

I hate to disappoint you, Miles, but I have nothing to do with Nisus
Writer. It is an excellent word processor, I agree, but I came up
with my company's name back in 1988 before I knew about Nisus Writer.
I thought it was a nice word I found in my Latin dictionary, meaning
both 'print' and 'effort' - and even stepping-stone, I think.

And about all of those layers, I guess you are right, the multitude
of them is one obstacle but also the fact that many of them are
passive, and don't do anything until they have to. Um, all of a
sudden both my questions seem related, since they deal with
parallellism and sequentiality ...

Karl-Erik Tallmo

    KARL-ERIK TALLMO, Swedish writer, lecturer

    ARCHIVE: http://www.nisus.se/archive
    BOOK: http://www.nisus.se/gorgias
    ANOTHER BOOK: http://www.copyrighthistory.com
    MAGAZINE: http://art-bin.com