nettime's_fork()_lift on Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:25:50 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> cramergram x2: freedom to think, fading altruism

               [digested @ nettime]

Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
     Re: <nettime> Freedom to Think and Speak
     Re: [graham@seul.org: Re: [ox-en] Threads "The Fading Altruism of

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:53:23 +0100
From: Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Freedom to Think and Speak

Am Thu, 17.Jan.2002 um 10:52:17 -0500x schrieb nettime's roving reporter:

> http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/s_johnson_2.html
>
> Freedom to Think and Speak
> By Seth Johnson
>

> Under Microsoft's Digital Rights Management operating system, the ability
> to use information freely will be policed at the most intricate level.

...corresponding reciprocally to the freedom of programmers to code
taken away by the DMCA and other legislative measures. The following is
an excerpt of an interview with Alan Cox, until recently the second-most
important Linux kernel developer after Linus Torvalds:

  [...]

  JA:
  You still maintain the stable 2.2 kernel, the most recent release in
  that series being 2.2.20. In the changelog building up to this release
  was a controversial tag, "Security fixes. Details censored in accordance
  with the US DMCA". What prompted you to censor these fixes? Was it
  intended as a political statement, or done out of fear of possible
  prosecution?

  Alan Cox:
  It was simply a matter of following the law and avoiding
  liability. The fact that American citizens are forbidden by their own
  government from hearing, or speaking the truth turns itself into a
  political statement.
     It's an unfortunate situation when the major Linux conference pretty
  much has to be in Canada because the US will not let some of the
  attendees even pass through their airspace, and many of the others fear
  to visit. I just hope that over time things will improve.
     At the moment the US, UK and much of the EEC slide slowly toward a
  police state. Innovation is hard, and innovators are generally buried in
  courts by established interests. I don't want to become a citizen of the
  new soviet union, forbidden from watching DVD's from the outside world,
  from burning flags in protest, and risking jail for offending a large
  company. People have to get involved in fighting such things. If they do
  not fight, they may well be swimming to Cuba, or serving in restaurants
  in Mexico City while trying to avoid deportation within thirty years.
     I'm working with FIPR (the foundation for information policy research)
  to do my bit. It's up to everyone else to do their bits too.

  JA:
  You mention the UK moving toward a police state, as well as the US.
  Has the UK passed similar laws to the US DMCA, or the proposed SSSCA?

  Alan Cox:
  The UK already has certain anti-convention laws, and the EU is
  implementing a common set at the moment. In some ways it is a lot saner
  than the DMCA (eg its a lot more explicit about reverse engineering for
  compatibility) and it doesn't seek to censor people in quite the same
  way. Nevertheless it has many of the same effects as the DMCA such as
  getting people arrested for helping the disabled read e-books.
     Could Sklyarov have happened in the UK. I think the answer is yes but as
  a civil case. Regardless of what the law says large companies can always
  play the system against the little guy.

  JA:
  Since the events that occurred on September 11'th, here in the US it
  has been increasingly difficult to reason with people about the need to
  preserve our freedom and privacy. Since that time, there's been a fury
  of attempted legislation that seems to, as you say, move us toward a
  police state. Can you offer any ideas for ways we, ordinary people, can
  help prevent this from happening?

  Alan Cox:
  Keep reminding people they live in a police state ?
     "Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they
  have rebelled they cannot become conscious." On the whole for the US,
  I'm not the one to answer that. It is a different system and society. We
  have real trouble even telling the two US parties apart.

  [...]

[The full interview is available at
<http://kerneltrap.com/article.php?sid=490>, FC]

--