david turgeon on Fri, 15 Mar 2002 04:53:27 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> a sedimentation of politics?

From: Newmedia@aol.com
>But, what are the new conflicts?  The CONFLICTS of the PRESENT?

it's funny you ask this question precisely.  following the cato press
release i forwarded to nettime yesterday (which btw was originally posted
on politech) i was able to read the reactions of a few readers who had some
well researched comments to make mostly against the original post, & the
reply of the original author who rebuked some of the points made, pointing
at a cato-sponsored, pro-SUV study (illustrated by pictures "courtesy of
ford"), but mr. taylor's reply itself was so opaque (to me) & seemed to
lack such crucial points that the only comprehensible arguments mr. taylor
made were about how science was "more than a show of hands" & how
environmentalists are this & that:

"I am, by the way, amused by the manner in which some environmentalists can
turn on a dime in the various science debates."

not to make a big fuss of his opinion of environmentalists (& please
understand this as a simplified schematic), but let's continue mr. taylor's
opposition of libertarianism vs environmentalism.  they both seem to be
onto something (compared to the more popular parties which seem to be
creatures of the past), but neither has actual political power, though you
could say the former is to say the least quite inspirational to the way
political parties are used by corporate rule.

surely, most parties in democratic countries have very similar platforms &
only slightly different styles.  it would be delusional to believe that the
democrat administration would have not waged the same war as the
republicans.  it's likely they would have looked somewhat apologetic about
it rather than claiming religious lucidity, which is a notable difference
(particularly on the diplomatic front), but not a crucial one.

one of the reasons why i was in québec city in 2001 was to protest against
what i see as a sedimentation of political life.  the fact that one or two
center to right parties in any given democracy can no longer be dislodged
by anything but capital power seems to me quite medieval.  it has been easy
so far for politicians to tell activists that they should get in politics
if they wish to change things.  but the politics themselves are saturated &
inaccessible, & that's to me one of the key reasons why governments are so
weak to change the course of things as of late, & why protests are about
the only way left for a concern citizenship to make itself heard.

the only way out would be a replacement politics, but the only new arena we
know is called global economy (or Empire, to make booksellers happy), an
area which has been seized by the neoliberal agenda, itself influenced &
fueled by aforementioned libertarian studies.  the true countering power is
not "the left", it's called the greens.  the traditional left is often
happy with keeping its hands in its own politics & unions from within the
corporate rule; the greens are however directly addressing corporate rule,
corporate abuse & corporate warmonging.  it's tempting to continue the
"left-right" symmetry, but it seems alarmingly obvious to me now that the
crux of the debate in today's "real" politics is between a short term
enjoyment of individuality & a long term enjoyment of the environment.

but "individuality" & "environment" here must be seen as very abstract
complementary values; to me, the environment (as a political value)
encompasses everything from simple ecology to urbanism to free health care
to diplomacy to 1-to-1 economy to etc.  the "idea of green" to me is
something which goes far beyond greenhouse effect & company.  (one could
talk of "conservative", not as in "entrenched in our good old ideas" but as
in "conserving the present in hopes of the future".)  on the other hand,
the idea of individualism is also a very complex sentiment which cannot be
expelled or abstracted out without devising a brave new world in the
process.  there is no opposition here but there is obviously a conflict.

certainly as with any modern mind, one would hope that a modern country has
these kinds of debates between the long term & the short term, & on a
global scale; but they are blocked by a seemingly natural sedimentation of
politics which happens as party lines mesh into one another to the point
where they are just white noise taking the whole of the space, unable to
die out as all life eventually does.  perhaps in fact the conflict after
all is that of mortals vs immortals.  the fabricated personnification of
the corporation & the party as a unique eternal entity, contrasting with
the creative faillibility of our kind.  hard not to see this whole war as a
matter of religion then, the religion of an eternal structure of domination
to be used in the same way by different people throughout the ages.

have a nice day
~ david