Bill Spornitz on Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:47:01 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> The night went off, virtually, without a hitch...

I found the article below in the March International Musician
magazine, the AFM newsletter, and I've ocr'd it for your edification.
I've done this because I have some concerns about it.

Firstly: I've heard a lot about how cold it was in Salt Lake City on
the opening night of the recent Olympics show, and I'm reading in
this article about how they couldn't play their instruments, it was
so cold.

Today, March 19, 2002, the last day of winter, the current
temperature here, at 10:30 CST is -19 Centigrade, or just below zero
Farenheit. I have played my saxophone out of doors, here in the City
of Ten Thousand Daves, at temperatures approaching -30C, where one is
forced to transpose the music up a tone and a half in order to
compensate for the contracting of the metal in the horn. 'Nuff said.

Secondly: There's not much to say about the AFM, the American
Federation of Musicians - suffice it to say that there are editorial
opinions in this month's issue that celebrate that great american
Patriot, Jack Valenti. As well, they quote Hillary Rosen as saying
that addressing the problem of pirated recorded music "has
fundamental importance to the US economy and to our overall
competitiveness".  Youch!

But mainly:  Why I'm really bothering you fine folks today is to ask
a question. There's a real kind of sick dis-jointedness to this story
- about musicians pretending to play their instruments, protected by
armed soldiers, marched through security checkpoints, protected by
extra security measures, suffering the failure of critical heating
systems, but soldiering on, faking art on bad instruments for an
audience of Billions and Billions served.

Here's the question: Is this what they mean by de-construction? I
mean, it all kind of sounds like it's coming apart at the ontological
seams, doesn't it? Or is this a simulacra? Or is it  a Situation? Or
what? I'm pretty sure it's not avant-garde...

It's getting really, really hard to tell what's really going on, and
I appreciate any light anybody can shine through this fog.

atb

Bitter Cold Can't Stop Music at Olympic Opening Ceremonies

Were you one of the millions of people watching the opening
ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, who thought
"How did they do that?' Despite typical frigid Utah February
temperatures, the Utah Symphony Orchestra musicians seemingly played
their instruments and trumpeted the opening of the games. But were
they really playing? Most seasoned musicians know that temperature
that low would cause irreversible damage to expensive instruments
which might crack, freeze, and certainly not play in tune. What was
really going on that night?

It wasn't a magic trick. "Nobody though that we were not playing
live," says Erich Graf, president of Local 104 (Salt Lake City, UT)
and a principal flutist with the symphony. Organizers knew the harsh,
Utah winter weather would pose many logistical difficulties for a
symphonic production. "Basically when the Olympic Committee
approached the symphony it was a given that the music would be
pre-recorded," says Graf. The musicians contracted through the AFM to
work in the studio for about 18 hours throughout January. It was
agreed that the musicians would lip-synch at the ceremonies, and they
were not to bring their own instruments. Instead, student-level
instruments were allocated. "Southwest Strings, an Arizona-based
company, provided all the string instruments, and at the close of the
event consented to donate them to the Utah Public School System,"
says Graf, "which is a tremendous benefit to the schools here".

The AFM also provided for safety precautions for the musicians. "They
could not have been more proactive and more cooperative in terms of
their pursuing things to make the musicians feel more comfortable and
safe," says Graf. "The orchestra and the union decided early on that
we were not comfortable without some kind of protections for the
musicians in the hall since it was located just adjacent to the
medals plaza," says Graf.  Salt Lake County provided the extra safe
precautions, security guards, and bom sniffing dogs to check everyone
at ea symphonic event.

National Guardsmen with M-16 rifles were a common sight at
Rice-Eccles stadium (medals plaza). Musicians waited hours in line
for each rehearsal and performance arriving four hours early to go
through security checkpoints. "It was like a small airport during
rush hour," says Graf.

The AFM also made sure the musicians were comfortable for their
Olympic performances. Shuttle buses were provided from the outlying
areas into Salt Lake valley for rehearsals and performance and
heaters at the arena warmed the bundled up musicians. The heaters had
to be fixed after they failed during the dress rehearsal the night
before opening ceremonies. It was these tireless efforts that made
for an unforgettable night.

After years of preparation, the night went off virtually without a
hitch, thanks to the help of the AFM and its year-long negotiations
behind-the-scenes with producers Dave Goldberg and Jeff Bennett.  It
made for a stunning evening the whole world enjoyed. "I appreciate
the AFM facilitating our opportunity to be able to participate in
this," says Graf. "For all the effort it took to put these things
together I think that the event was like standing out looking at the
Grand Canyon for the first time-it was a spectacle like no other on
earth."