Ana Viseu on Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:03:17 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> biology and technology

[The Observer
<http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0%2C6903%2C673103%2C00.html>
has an interesting article on how the use of cell phones, gameboys and
other technological paraphernalia is changing our hands. Apparently,
youngsters thumbs have become the most muscled and agile digit of many
members of younger generations. This is an interesting example of the
mutual adaptation between humans and nonhumans. As McLuhan once said,
"first we build the tools, then they build us". Ana]

Thumbs are the new fingers for the GameBoy generation

Use of hand-held technologies, such as mobile phones, GameBoys and
computers, has caused a physical mutation in the under-25s, according to
new research.

The study, carried out in nine cities around the world, shows that the
thumbs of the younger generation have overtaken their fingers as the hand's
most muscled and dexterous digit.

The change affects those who have grown up with hand-held devices capable
of text messaging, emailing and accessing internet services. Experts claim
it proves technology is causing physical alterations that previously
happened over generations.

'The relationship between technology and the users of technology is mutual:
we are changing each other,' said Dr Sadie Plant, author of the study and
founder of the Cybernetic Culture Research Unit at Warwick University. 'The
fact that our thumbs operate differently from our fingers is one of the
main things that defines us as humans. Discovering that the younger
generation has taken to using thumbs in a completely different way and are
instinctively using it where the rest of us use our index fingers is
particularly interesting.'

Plant, who has written three books on the social impact of technology,
spent six months collecting data on hundreds of mobile phone users in the
world's largest cities, including London, Beijing, Chicago and Tokyo.

She noted how, while those less accustomed to mobile phones used one or
several fingers to access the keypad, younger people used both thumbs
ambidextrously, barely looking at the keys as they made rapid entries.

'They used the absolute minimal movement,' she said. 'Simply exerting
pressure with the thumb rather than tapping at the phone.

'There are many ways to input information into these devices, but for some
reason kids under 25 most often choose to use their thumbs over any other
digit. There is no question that choice is having a clear effect on their
physicality: thumbs are the new fingers.'

In Japan, the trend was particularly marked. Plant even found the under-25s
referred to themselves as oya yubi sedai - the thumb generation, or thumb
tribe.

As their thumbs become stronger and more dexterous, Plant found that the
thumb tribe is using its favourite digit for other tasks that are
traditionally the finger's job, such as pointing at things or ringing
doorbells.

'The mobile is fast becoming an essential prop in the social life of
20-year-olds,' she said. 'It has even become part of their mating display,
with young men trying to impress women with the advanced technology of
their phones.'

Tudo vale a pena se a alma não é pequena.
http://fcis.oise.utoronto.ca/~aviseu

http://privacy.openflows.org