Ana Viseu on Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:37:19 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Re: biology and technology

Hi,

I was half pleasantly surprised to see that so many people replied to my
post on 'biology and technology'. I say half because although I think the
interaction between both is a timely topic,  one that deserves to be
discussed in its own right, the thread of emails that followed seemed to
focus exclusively on attacks to Plant's research.

I think it necessary to clarify that the article I posted was NOT written
by Sadie Plant. It was written by The Observer (as my post indicated). Thus
the choice of words 'mutation', etc... were journalistic choices.

I am not too familiar with Plant's research and I have not read her study
on cell phones. I also agree with Sean Smith in thinking that the fact that
it is funded by Motorola doesn't take any credit away from it.

The point of my post was not to focus on Plant's research as such, not even
to try to get to a conclusion on the accuracy of the results described in
the article, but rather to call attention to the large amount of R&D that
is currently being done both on the development of technologies that blur
the distinctions between biology and technology, and on its possible
impacts. This is the object of my own research (also corporately co-funded).

All the best. Ana Viseu

Tudo vale a pena se a alma não é pequena.
http://fcis.oise.utoronto.ca/~aviseu

http://privacy.openflows.org