Brandon Keim on Sat, 11 May 2002 15:11:01 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Town and Country

Town and Country
(that feeling you get after going days without seeing a horizon)

Last night I watched Orfeu, Carlos Diegues' lovely film adaptation of
the Greek legend of Orpheus and Euridice.  Set in a Rio de Janeiro
slum at the beginning of Carnival, Orpheus is an Afro-Brazilian samba
teacher, and Euridice an orphaned Indian who has recently left the
country to move in with her aunt.

Almost immediately Euridice is repulsed by the squalor and amorality
of her surroundings.  She and Orfeu fall in love, and they make plans
to leave the ghetto and return to her beautiful Amazonian home.  Of
course, this being a Greek tragedy, you know the ending . . . but I
digress.

Orfeu's depiction of poverty in an overcrowded megalopolis was, I
have a feeling, probably pretty realistic, especially when it dealt
with the ubiquity of television -- that commercial fountain of common
mythology, at once a daily soporific and source of unattainable,
self-destructive desires.  The entire world, city and country alike,
consumes and is consumed by commercial television; and nearly every
show, every commercial, takes place in either city or sprawl.  Rural
reality simply does not exist except as something to escape.

Looking at the vast and terrible panoramas of Rio's slums --
interchangeable with the slums of every major city of what we so
euphemistically call the 'developing' world -- I could not imagine
why anyone would exchange the country, with its space and sky and
life, for claustrophobic crime-ridden concrete warrens.

The explanation given by most who are drawn to the cities is the
prospect of employment and a steady income.  Cultural and educational
opportunities are another -- but the vast majority come for work, and
the vast majority of work to be found is menial drudgery.  Is it more
satisfying to be a janitor working sixty hours a week, spending two
hours a day on crowded subways, than a farmer?  Of course, as a
farmer one is less likely to earn enough money to buy the products
glamorized on television and in mass consumer culture -- and this, I
believe, is the deepest reason for the appeal of urban life.

It could be argued that I am romanticizing rural existence.  Small
villages are  often rife with petty infighting, prejudice, and
ignorance (something to remember when we glorify the metaphor of
'global village').  Environmental degradation and social unrest can
make the country as inhospitable as any ghetto (though this
degradation and unrest can often be traced to the same
corporate-military-industrial power structure whose media exalts the
urban).

Still, there is no reason why the possibilities of community should
be restricted to immense cities, tiny villages, and anonymous
suburbia.  Neither must rural living be predominantly agrarian.
There must be other models for human habitation, just as there must
be alternatives to consumer capitalism. I believe that most
contemporary artists and architects -- adulators of fragmentation and
jaggedness and the straight line, the latter so diametrically opposed
to the lushness of natural forms -- are guilty of confusing
inevitability with rightness and blindly accepting, even when they
resist the orgy of consumption to which we are conditioned, the
wisdom of conventional power: that urban life is the only authentic
life, that the megacity is the form of the future.  If 'postmodern'
fluidity of meaning and the advent of the digital can teach us
anything, it is the primacy of choice, the potential for wholeness,
and the infinity of possibility.

Brandon
brandonkeim@mindspring.com
www.djinnetic.org/blog