nettime's_remote_control on Thu, 16 May 2002 10:47:33 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> fst frwrd dgst [geer, spornitz, mcelroy]

Re: <nettime> Fast forward as theft
     Benjamin Geer <ben@beroul.uklinux.net>
     Bill Spornitz <spornitz@mts.net>
     "Joseph Franklyn McElroy Cor[porat]e [Per]form[ance] Art[ist]" <...>

From: Benjamin Geer <ben@beroul.uklinux.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Fast forward as theft
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:15:53 +0100

On Tuesday 14 May 2002 7:31 pm, Felix Stalder wrote:
> *	First, in an interview with Cableworld magazine, Jamie Kellner, the
> head of ad-supported television for Turner Broadcasting (the folks that
> bring you CNN), said that skipping ads on a recorded TV show was theft.

Easy solution: throw away your TV.

Ben

Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:03:08 -0500
From: Bill Spornitz <spornitz@mts.net>

Fellow monkeys;

I'm not exactly sure, but I think the word hegemony applies in this
*gotta watch the commercials or else* debate... as I remember, that
refers to the powerful controlling others less powerful. We see it in
this case where, despite the fact that this *law-making* is of a
distinctly US flavour, it has repercussions with international
companies who manufacture these devices for sale to the *global
market* (read US market). When pork-fed US lawmakers make
simple-minded and unfair laws simply because of their poor education,
we all suffer.

As far as the argument that a  *contract* exists between a
television viewer and a network to watch the ads - this sounds like
more of that New Communism rampant in America - *we're all in this
together, my country right or wrong, love it or leave it, these laws
are good for all of us, MSFT will take care of you* -

This is the way it really is (in North America):

1 I buy a television (Japanese, please - reasonable price, flawless for years)
2 I turn it on.
3 I see fuzzy pictures ( the miracle of tv! Entertainment through the
airwaves!)
3b The kids complain about the fuzz. I pay for a hardwired connection
to the *cable network*
4 As a family, we change channels constantly looking for
satisfaction, passing the remote around the circle like a 21st
century doobie
5 This pastiche of signals and noise (and wrestling for the remote)
constitutes the entertainment experience
6 If I really have nothing else to do, I actually plan to watch an
actual program
7 The ads don't seem to apply to me (I'm healthy and don't need
brand-name pharmaceuticals; I drive an '81 Econoline (with fuzzy
purple interior) with the express purpose of burning all the gasoline
as quickly as I can in order to force the development of better
technology - I don't need a car with an inspiring name.)
8 I turn it off and work in the garden

At no point is a contract presented to me; there are no
*agree/disagree* buttons to push, there's no shrink wrap to deflower.
If a social contract exists, it's too ephemeral for me to discern.
Sounds like the proverbial *bill of goods* to me.

In a way, the rise of TV advertising was one of the first indications
that human systems have developed to a point where traditional models
of trade do not work any more. The simple minded argument that

>"Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to
>watch the spots. Otherwise you couldn't get the show on an ad-supported
basis.

   expresses this frustration; we need tv shows bigtime, that is
clear. They must be extremely expensive to produce, otherwise they
could not be as valuable (ford knows that the messages that they
perpetrate are not their value) but we have to give it away for free
(except the cable) or else nobody would watch it. Let's get business
to pay a lot of money to make cloying white trash scenarios to suck
us in. It's a construct, it's not a contract. Besides that, if we
weren't so lazy, we would have never invented the remote control and
simple inertia would remain the advertisers one true friend.

But the Market will solve this problem too! Clever Market! Clearly, a
brave new manufacturer will step up that offers a product that
satisfies the more reasonable laws of it's home country and, using
eBusiness savvy (clever business-people! XML Forever!) markets their
superior product to hapless Americans directly. Maybe it will be open
source, to boot!

I saw a word in a recent nettime post that I think I like; the word
was *gormless*. As the American lawmakers/lawbreakers continue to
distract us with their lunatic caterwauling - from the environment to
the marketplace to the battlefield to the sponsor's vital message - I
think we need a new word that means gormless-en-masse. Suggestions?

atb

>Fast forward as theft
>
>By Scott Bradner
>Network World, 05/13/02