Tom_Gray on Sat, 1 Jun 2002 16:35:18 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> On Empire

The distinct groups in engineering firms are all distinctly sub-types of
engineers. Management are typically technological optimists with
engineering training and values. They are driven to find
technological/engineering expressions as a means of attaining self-worth.

This is not to say that there are not distinct sub-types. However to say
that these sub-types are not all valid forms of engineering expression is
to reduce analysis to the level of a Dilbert cartoon. I have had 29 years
experience in high-tech. I too have heard the comments about management not
understanding the product and not understanding how real engineering is
done. I have heard comments about how current programming skills are a
necessity for everyone including senior management. This is of course
nonsense and is the mark of low level engineers who do not have a grasp of
the larger design issues beyond their isolated component.  For some reason,
they cannot understand that major issues of customer value, allocation of
scare resources, design evolution and development & acquisition of core
technological competencies, market fit, etc.  cannot be developed as an
application of the latest JAVA tool. They cannot seem to understand that
the issues that can be handled by these latest low level tools were
identified, investigated and solved by the previous senior level activity
which they scorn. They are simply applying solutions that were previously
found by senior management and technologists previously.

Thanks

Tom Gray

Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com>@bbs.thing.net on 05/30/2002 10:57:15
PM