Morlock Elloi on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:56:38 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> How We Made Our Own "Carnivore"

> Ethernet was invented at the University of Hawaii. Scientists there in
> the early 1970s faced a unique problem: How to network different
> campuses, each on different islands separated by water. The solution was

Nonsense.

I fart in your general direction with indignation.

Facts:

1970 - N. Abramson at the University of Hawaii designed ALOHA, ground based
radio packet network.

1972 Roberts, also of UoH, improved the bandwith by using time slots - "Slotted
ALOHA".

1976 - Metcalfe and Boggs of Xerox PARC (Palo Alto, CA) published a description
of a coaxial cable network, Ethernet.

=====
end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows: