Dave/Cherry on Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:28:40 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Embassy update[s]

[digested @ nettime]

Table of Contents:

   Embassy update
     Dave/Cherry <ross777au@bigpond.com>

   Refugee Embassy news flashes
     "geert lovink" <geert@xs4all.nl>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:59:18 +1000
From: Dave/Cherry <ross777au@bigpond.com>
Subject: Embassy update

Dear friends and supporters,

It's about time we gave some kind of a news update.  Things are
happening so quickly (and changing so quickly) that an update is
hardly written before it is out of date.

We have received the first boxes of clothes as a result of the
clothing appeal, and we understand that more are on the way.  In
particular, we have had an offer of a virtual VAN LOAD of BRAND NEW
clothes from the Samaritans and Saint Vinnies, for the Afghanians.
We should explain that we are not saying anything about these clothes
being given in connection with possible deportation.  We do not think
they would take them under those circumstances.  We also have to be
clear that they are not being given by the Government.

The detainees are reticent to accept ANY favours short of freedom, as
they have seen that DIMIA uses every favour to convince the public
that they are living quite comfortably and that they should be
grateful for all that they are getting.  They really ARE grateful for
the compassionate interest and concern that supporters have shown
(and they express it constantly), but they feel that virtually every
time they smile, someone is standing by to click a camera and say
that the smiles proves that they have it good where they are now.

Along with the clothing, there is a move to send about twenty boxes
of children's books, which were collected by a trade union in Sydney.
(Terribly sorry, Duncan, but I've lost the name of your union, as
well as the email address!)  Anyway, we have instructions to give the
books as outright gifts to individual detainees.  (The 400 books that
make up the detention centre "library" cannot be checked out, and so
parents cannot read them to their children.)  I don't know how much
room detainees have to store all of these things, but I'm sure that
the books will be much appreciated... as long as DIMIA doesn't give
us problems with delivering either the books or the clothing to the
detainees.

Actually, we must say that both DIMIA and ACM here in Woomera have
been incredibly co-operative for the past two or three weeks with
regard to visitors, and with regard to gifts being delivered to
detainees.  We really must give them credit when they do something
right, since we are pretty hard on them when they do things wrong!
My wife, Cherry, and our daughter, Christine, and her husband, Robin,
have been here for two and a half weeks now, and they have been able
to visit close to forty detainees.  This has included both morning
and afternoon visits.  It goes a long way toward making up for the
totally unfair banishment of Ross and myself from visiting the centre.

At the moment, a five to ten-minute documentary is being made of our
work here, by a volunteer documentary-maker.  We are hopeful that we
can get some clips from that onto our website, but we are also
hopeful that we may be able to make it available for showing around
the country.

The response to our appeal for sponsors and distributors of the
booklet full of refugee profiles has been amazing.  We are now
sorting through the various offers, including a number from proper
publishers.  As soon as we have something definite, we will pass that
on.  We are keeping a list of all the people who have written in
offering to distribute them (and also those who have offered to
contribute toward the costs), so that we can notify you when we have
something concrete.

Apparently there is a plan by someone who is strongly opposed to our
presence here, to have the refugee profiles stopped through an
injunction before it can go to press.  However, we are taking steps
to ensure that there can be no legal grounds for doing so.

We like to think that the introduction of three mobile phones into
the compound just a few days before the United Nations delegation
arrived was a result of our campaign against the poor telephone
service available inside.  We can now phone delegates from the
various groups and speak with them at no cost to them, and for about
50 cents a minute to us.  This service has been a great success over
the past few days with the hunger strike, as media interest has
sky-rocketed.  Our phone also is ringing constantly, as media from
Australia and overseas continues to seek updates on the strike.

It seems that media pressure to be allowed inside the centre, in
order to see for themselves what is going on, is growing too.  Hurrah!

You can never be certain with something like a hunger strike whether
it may stop at any moment.  However, there are strong indications
that this one is destined to end in tragedy.  It really does seem
like more of a slow motion mass suicide.  As tragic as that may be,
it will go down in history not as a crime by the detainees
themselves, but rather as a massive indictment against the absolute
heartlessness of Phillip Ruddock and John Howard against totally
innocent and tragically abused people.

I've probably overlooked heaps of things, but that should be enough for now.

Dave McKay
Refugee Embassy
Post Restante
Woomera 5720