nettime's critic of the critic on Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:19:51 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Josephine Bosma, review of Documenta XI [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> Josephine Bosma, review of Documenta XI
     Are Flagan <areflagan@mac.com>

   Re: <nettime> Josephine Bosma, review of Documenta XI
     "Paul D. Miller" <anansi1@earthlink.net>

   Re: <nettime> Josephine Bosma, review of Documenta XI
     "porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:11:05 -0400
From: Are Flagan <areflagan@mac.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Josephine Bosma, review of Documenta XI

8/14/02 11:18 AM, "David Garcia" <davidg@xs4all.nl> :

>> It looks like critic Dave Hickey
>> is right when he says (in a quote in a New York Times article): "It's
>> basically a Protestant view of art". This is the Documenta of mostly
>> useful art, almost everything has meaning and purpose. Enwezor's need to
>> preach and teach then leads to the third, most poignant reason for
>> depression: Documenta XI is above all dead and dead serious. There is
>> very little humor or anything else ridiculous, useless or grotesque.
>
> Strange that the "protestant view of art" is used here (and I admit quite
> often elsewhere) as a put down. Many artworks, particularly Dutch
> architecture and other expressions of a Northern, Calvinist persuasion may
> be austere, maybe a little pedagogic, and may also have been "dead
> serious" (not always a bad thing) but they still gave rise to many works
> which we still value. Is this piece meant as serious critique or a report
> from the "style council"?

For those that frequented Site Santa Fe during Hickey's own personal
Biennale, "Beau Monde," there was plenty of the ridiculous, useless and
(arguably not so) grotesque. Everything had a certain bubble gum flavor to
the eye, being bright, colorful and mostly devoid of any and all heavy
pretense. A piece that played with abstract patterns through spectral light
formed the centerpiece and the show generally left nothing and everything to
the, regrettably acid-free, imagination. (Think of the lava lamp as the
apotheosis of sculpture and you'll get the Hickey picture.) The Sydney
Biennale that was just completed tried to revive the fantastic in much the
same way as Hickey by concentrating on stylish yet dysfunctional expressions
"liberated" from the aesthetic norms that frequently give rise to
accusations of being didactic. Both these moves are intended to open up the
imagination by exposing it to concepts/images/objects that are supposedly
beyond it, but this tautology is obviously redundant in art contexts that
have already prepared a space for them and named them. So, sure, we can sit
down right here and compose yet another art history for ridiculous stuff and
spend the next few years promoting and arguing it, but are there not more
pressing concerns right now? At least Documenta attempts to "show" rather
than feebly "cloak" to engage our senses.

BTW: Hickey lives in Vegas. Most of us do not.

- -af