david turgeon on Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:59:15 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Fwd: Dear Thomson Multimedia

personally that's how i always understood the 'pushing through empire to
come out at the other side' part...  ~d

===

Subject: [musictech] Dear Thomson Multimedia
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:46:27 -0700
From: Brian Zisk <zisk@well.com>
To: musictech@listbox.com

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/openletter.html

 From Emmett Plant, CEO of the Xiph.org Foundation, Creators of Ogg Vorbis

August 27th, 2002

Dear Thomson Multimedia:

Thank you for removing the license-fee exemption for the release of free
mp3 decoders.

Thank you for the unbelievable amount of free publicity we have received
in the wake of this announcement. If it weren't for the change in mp3
licensing, there's a very real chance that the continued adoption of our
open standards may have slowed down.

Thank you for presenting a reminder to people that when they choose a
patented alternative over a free one, they will eventually have to pay in
one way or another. It's been difficult to send this message all by
ourselves; we're glad you've decided to step up to the plate and knock it
out of the park.

Thank you for providing the impetus for millions of people and hundreds of
companies to give an open, free alternative a try. We love it when people
get a chance to evaluate technology, and we've been happy to present them
with a superior alternative to mp3. If it weren't for the removal of the
free-decoder exemption, it might have taken even longer for people to try
it out.

Thank you for setting a precedent in providing free technology until the
world has become hooked on it, and then charging a lot of money
afterwards. This isn't a new idea, but we're glad that you've taken a
stand to ensure that this practice will continue as long as vested
interests control patents on multimedia. We hope that you'll continue in
this pattern with MPEG-4, since we'll be releasing a free MPEG-4
competitor next summer.

Also, with all of the tech-trade brouhaha over your decision, we're
certain that people will continue to donate to our fine organization, in
the hopes that we'll continue to release open source software that
out-performs proprietary alternatives. After all, with tiny donations that
represent a mere fraction of your minimum royalties, we can ensure that
open standards for multimedia will thrive.

Please be sure to threaten those who challenge your license fees with
lawsuits and draconian collections efforts. We officially support any
action you take to drive home the 'mp3 costs money' message. Thanks again,
and best of luck!

Emmett Plant
CEO, Xiph.org Foundation

Hey, Slashdot and Linux and Main readers, and other assorted people
of the world! Join us on IRC on #vorbis at irc.xiph.org!
--

Brian Zisk

http://www.futureofmusic.org