nettime's_conditional_dig on Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:27:18 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> "Transnational Progressives" [human/jfisher]

Table of Contents:

   <nettime> "Transnational Progressives"
     human being <human@electronetwork.org>

   Re: <nettime> "Transnational Progressives"
     Jeffrey Fisher <jfisher@igc.org>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:16:58 -0500
From: human being <human@electronetwork.org>
Subject: <nettime> "Transnational Progressives"

  if:

	"transnational progressives"

  then:

  	"transgressive conservatives"

  + aliens of H.G. Wells War-of-the-Worlds share a
  + similar specter as today's ubiquitous terrorists

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 07:31:24 -0500
From: Jeffrey Fisher <jfisher@igc.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> "Transnational Progressives"

On Sunday, August 25, 2002, at 11:10 PM, Bruce Sterling wrote:

> *At last, a right-wing epithet for "global civil society" that I kind of
> like!  Will 'transnational progressives' get their own detainment camps,
> perhaps in some handy transnational a-legal space such as army bases in
> Cuba?

illegal ideological combatants?

> *How long before the heroic Bush Administration destroys the WTO?

and the bretton woods institutions, those keynesian throwbacks to
communism!

  . . .

and, as if on cue, last week's stratfor analysis concerning a bilateral
ICC-exemption agreement between the US and Colombia that's putting Uribe
in a hot spot. turns out even Colombians who are tired of dealing with
teh FARC don't want the US military given  carte blanche in their
country. who'd've thunk it?

  Colombia: President Feeling Heat From U.S. Immunity Request
Summary

The Bush administration is demanding that new Colombian President Alvaro
Uribe Velez sign a bilateral agreement that will grant U.S. personnel
immunity from International Criminal Court prosecution. If Uribe rejects
the request, he risks losing vital U.S. support. But if he signs the
pact, he could lose critical political backing in Colombia and
regionally, undermining his offensive against the FARC rebels.

Analysis

The Bush administration has requested a bilateral agreement from
Colombia's new government that would grant total immunity to U.S.
military and civilian government personnel -- involved in the fight
against drug- and rebel groups -- in the country from prosecution by the
International Criminal Court. The request is legally required under a
bill recently passed by the U.S. Congress. The bill stipulates that a
freeze must be placed on all U.S. aid to ICC signatory countries that do
not have such agreements with Washington. (((i.e., it ain't just the W
administration))) [ . . . ]

However, if Uribe does sign an immunity deal with the Bush
administration, he could lose much of the domestic political capital he
gained after his decisive first-round election victory last May. Bogota
daily El Tiempo recently editorialized that the U.S. demand for an
immunity pact is a "disgrace" and urged Uribe not to cave in to U.S.
pressures. Public opinion in Colombia largely opposes such an agreement
as well, according to domestic news reports.

The president also risks being perceived as a U.S. puppet by other
governments in the region -- like Brazil. These regimes already see the
expanding U.S. footprint in Colombia as an effort by Washington to
establish a long-term military presence in the northern-tier countries
of South America. A semi-permanent U.S. presence likely would kill
Uribe's already slim chances of negotiating regional border-control
agreements with Colombia's immediate neighbors. The president is seeking
cross-border agreements in order to keep the FARC and other irregular
armed groups inside his country.

[ . . . ]
http://www.stratfor.com/fib/topStory_view.php?ID=205876

> bruces