Richard Sewell on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:27:44 +0200 (CEST)

Re: Indigenous IPR (was: Re: <nettime> Dark Markets: Whose Democracy?)

At 13:26 14/10/02 +0100, Sean Smith wrote:
>To: nettime <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>
>Subject: Indigenous IPR (was: Re: <nettime> Dark Markets: Whose
>   Democracy?)
>

>i have to say i can't understand the attitudes towards indigenous and
>collective intellectual property rights (IPR) that are frequently
>propagated here; they seem to be based on wilfull misunderstandings of a
>remarkably straightforward argument, which goes like this:

[...]

Defending the weak against the strong always sounds like a good idea, but
on the other hand building complicated rules to grant ownership of certain
kinds of knowledge to poorly-defined groups sounds like a truly terrible idea.

IPR seems (at least to me) to have a core of good sense - it defends the
creators of new ideas & works - and a vast cloud of terrible side-effects.
Extending IPR - finding more ways to deem knowledge to be property - will
add more stupid side-effects.

Or, to put it another way, are you really in favour of getting sued by the
Italian government when you cook pasta ? And if not, why not ?

R.

-
Richard Sewell
richard@jarkman.co.uk
Phone: +44 (0)1495 762385       Mobile: +44 (0)7973 775743