Ana Viseu on Wed, 30 Oct 2002 05:35:38 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> ID Chip's Controversial Approval

Quoting Steve Cisler <cisler@pobox.com>:

> On Friday, October 25, 2002, at 12:43  PM, Alle Dieren Vrij! wrote:
>
> > Chipping people, a new market. What groups of people will be subjected to
> > this new registration technique? Old people, children, prisoners,
> > illegalised people, you name it.
> >
> > Herman
>
> Not just the usual victims!
> Execs in danger of being kidnapped. Journalists. public officials--the
> ultimate in political transparency. Soldiers heading for battle.

Of course, in order for the chip to work it needs a reader. My fear is that by
the time these become pervasive not having a chip will be seen as a serious
handicap. The so-called 'fax effect', to which we could also give the name of
'cell phone effect'.

What was interesting about this article was the disparity between the discourse
of Applied Digital Technologies who produce the technology and market it as a
medical, life-saving device, and the FDA who approves it but proclaims it can
only be used for ID matters.

best. ana