Heiko Recktenwald on Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:44:23 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> re: joxe's empire of disorder (etc)

Ha,

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, McKenzie Wark wrote:

> As Are reminds us, the Digitital Millenium Copyright Act is no joke, and
> there is already a criminal proceeding. Heiko points out that there are
> 'traditional exceptions' in the WIPO treaties. I would say these reveal
> a kind of 'class compromise', which in any case may be made moot
> by developments in the 'technical-economic base' which make read-
> write media a thing of the past.

Yeah, why is private copying allowed in germany ?

The author of the new code and others say that it cant be prevented
anyway.

But copyprotection might be a better idea.

The first thing I though about copyprotection was that it replaces loyalty
for the law in general by a technical system, that doesnt need loyalty,
a technical system that the states support as is. Poor states.

Analog privat copying of copyprotected cds is free, hifi anyway, but is
more complicated. What does the industry defend ? The ownership of the
original, some more or less mystical thing ? Only the first copy of a
copyprotected CD must be analog, the rest can be, many generations,
digital too. Is it worth the efford?

I dont believe in any danger at all.

H.