nettime's_big_thumb on Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:18:01 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> united we sms, divided we email digest [sgp, campion]

Re: Koerner: Why American teens don't want the new cell phones
     "sgp" <somebody@sgp-7.net>
     sebastian campion <campion@nonplace.com>

From: "sgp" <somebody@sgp-7.net>
To: <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>
Subject: Re: Koerner: Why American teens don't want the new cell phones
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 00:15:31 -0500

hi all,
Interesting thread.
I just want to add that I recently was told, but can't independently find
the source, that it was now possible to send text msgs to users of different
providers than your own in the US. (My phone only receives them so I can't
test it!!) So that provider incompatibility argument seems to be gone. But
only recently. We'll see if it has any effect. Previous to this change,
according to my students, it was possible to send text msgs to users of
different providers using a work-around solution where you dialed a special
number prior to the number of the recipient. A number of "bridge" solutions
were apparently available like this.
Best,
[sgp]