nettime's_digestion on Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:17:31 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Rhizome [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Rhizome: Institution Lite Version
     Cary Peppermint <mint77@restlessculture.net>

   Rhizome&clubs; &hearts; Nettime&spades; &hearts; 7-11&diams;
     eyescratch <eyescratch@terminal.cz>

   Re: <nettime> Rhizome
     "Don Cameron" <donhome@mudgeeab.com.au>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:14:29 -0500
From: Cary Peppermint <mint77@restlessculture.net>
Subject: Rhizome: Institution Lite Version

I think the attacks and unnecessarily harsh criticism of Mark Tribe and
Rhizome is way lame and off the target of what could potentially be a real
discussion concerning the sorry "conditions of possibility" & support
available for art here in the US.

In this country and especially in NYC it would be impossible to run a
non-profit purely off the kindness families on Madison Avenue and government
support in the way that some organizations I have witnessed in Europe seem
to be operating.  This is the land where capitalism (even further
accelerated along by George Bush's version of America) is "killing" art
first and foremost.  NYC is most certainly on the front lines.  Sometimes
here it all that we can do just to hang on and/or exist at all in any
creative-cultural incarnation.

Rhizome seeks to be and is becoming an "Institution Lite Version." Here in
NYC/America artists need entities to help interface the public and generate
and distribute their ideas.  Notice I say "Lite."  I have had my criticisms
of Rhizome just as I have had of all Lite Institutions with which I have
interfaced... criticism is a way of working toward keeping an institution
"lite" and in a sense always in a state of becoming, never fully in charge,
never having fully arrived, in complete control or enjoying hegemony over
and beyond the artist or the public (ideally).  "Institution lites" I have
successfully interfaced in the past, include but not limited to Rhizome,
Franklin Furnace and The Kitchen. They have all allowed me to maintain a
creative positioning and simultaneously have exposed my work to a larger
audience of people that otherwise would not have been possible.  This makes
sense to me because my art (and I believe most art in this western system)
is in many ways about distribution.

"Institution-lites" are not the only networks through which I disseminate
information nor are they always the most "cutting-edge", energetic, raw,
restless or ideal spaces for executing my work however they are a necessary
and important part of the cultural landscape of this system.  Here in NYC
Rhizome must now charge their subscribers in order to exist and this is a
stark reality of the system within which we are immersed.

When I want to opt out of this system I have the (serious) privilege of
leaving NYC and going to my other home in the remote woods in the state of
Maine.  Art is free there, isolated, beautiful, quite, alone and it does
happen but no one sees it except for me.

I always end up going back to New York.

VIVA LA RHIZOME through all its difficult & varied incarnations.

- -Cary Peppermint