nettime's_old_economy on Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:20:32 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Premium PlatinumRhizome-plus[TM] Deluxe digest [paulukonis, don]

Re: <nettime> 9 out of 10 paupers recommend rhizome digest
     "Paulukonis, Michael (RHD-DUN)" <Michael.Paulukonis@rhd.com>
     "Don" <donhome@mudgeeab.com.au>

From: "Don" <donhome@mudgeeab.com.au>
Subject: Re: <nettime> 9 out of 10 paupers recommend rhizome digest [bowman, giordano]
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:39:14 +1100

>> To make this long story short: if talking about rents to pay sound petty
or too simplistic, superficial, well.. It means I (and so Mark Tribe) am not
one of you tres chic intellectual that live off your family inherit or
whatever and have the privilege of working full day without bothering about
the pas tres chic everyday reality. (snip)

Oh dear; so little you know about me yet so much you assume (wrongly)... the
defensive tone suggests that further discussion might be pointless. All we
have seen to date in support of Rhizome placing a charge on public access
(to freely provided works of art), are rather ambiguous references delivered
with a spoonfull of scorn - "how dare you challenge Rhizome on this" (isn't
this what you are really saying?) - Well, I don't live in the US and lack an
understanding of what is acceptable amongst your NFP's... in my part of the
world NFP's are accountable to the public beyond the simple requirement to
provide annual audit reports... however it's all moot... obviously the value
of this charge to Rhizome exceeds any considerations they may have
concerning loss to the public or artists. Were it otherwise we would not be
bantering words in this manner, we would be productively discussing
financial sustainability alternatives... however recent posts clearly
suggest that Rhizome is not interested (nor seemingly is anyone else...
perhaps it is time for a new topic).

Best, Don