ben moretti on Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:24:14 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> australian govt's anti-terrorism package of advice to householders

# a light hearted look at the australian govt's latest propaganda from
# john clarke and byan dawe - two of australia's best satirists. the package
# in question has been posted to every australian household at a cost of
# a$13m with the intention of providing information on terrorism - numbers
# to contact, what to look out for (ie: foreigners doing suspicious stuff) and
# so on. it is laughable and pathetic and is really there to instill fear and
# paranoia in people's minds so they will accept the government's insane
# position (that of a tongue firmly down bush's trousers). many people are
# posting them unopened back to the govt or prime minister's office as a
# protest of sorts. i have included instructions on how to do this
# following the transcript  - ben

[This is the print version of story
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2003/s778702.htm]

KERRY O'BRIEN: And, for the last word this week, John Clarke and Bryan Dawe
examine the contents of the Government's new anti-terrorism package of advice
to householders.

JOHN CLARKE AS JOHN HOWARD; BRYAN DAWE AS THE INTERVIEWER.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, thanks for your time.

JOHN HOWARD: Good evening, Bryan, very good to be with you.

INTERVIEWER: I wonder if I could ask you about this terrorist package that
you're sending out to Australian households.

JOHN HOWARD: Yes, by all means.

I'm not sure that everybody has received the package yet.

INTERVIEWER: Well, I got mine.

JOHN HOWARD: You've got yours, good.

INTERVIEWER: I've got it here.

I wonder if we can just go through it.

JOHN HOWARD: Certainly, yes.

INTERVIEWER: Could you tell me what this is?

JOHN HOWARD: This is just a letter, Bryan, to Australians explaining the
geopolitical position and counselling them not to worry too much, not to
panic.

INTERVIEWER: Not to worry unnecessarily.

JOHN HOWARD: No, don't be too alarmed.

INTERVIEWER: And what's it called again?

JOHN HOWARD: You can see what it's called.

It's called "Look out!

There's A Terrorist Behind You With An Axe".

INTERVIEWER: And this is a fridge magnet?

JOHN HOWARD: It's a fridge magnet, Bryan, yes.

INTERVIEWER: And what's it for?

JOHN HOWARD: For sticking on the fridge.

INTERVIEWER: But why?

JOHN HOWARD: So you don't get attacked by terrorists.

INTERVIEWER: What do terrorists look like?

JOHN HOWARD: See, that's the difficulty.

We don't know what terrorists look like.

This is the point.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, how are we going to avoid terrorists if we don't know
what they look like?

JOHN HOWARD: Well, they look like anyone else, Bryan.

This is one of the difficulties.

INTERVIEWER: And have you seen any?

JOHN HOWARD: Have I seen terrorists?

INTERVIEWER: Yeah.

JOHN HOWARD: No, I've got a fridge magnet.

INTERVIEWER: So these act like a garlic -

JOHN HOWARD: They won't come near you if you've got a fridge magnet.

INTERVIEWER: Really?

And what's this thing here?

JOHN HOWARD: That's just a whistle, Bryan.

INTERVIEWER: For attracting -

(Blows whistle) JOHN HOWARD: I beg your pardon?

INTERVIEWER: …attracting attention?

JOHN HOWARD: I don't need to attract attention, thanks, Bryan.

I've got the media where I want them.

It's going pretty well.

INTERVIEWER: What's this thing here?

JOHN HOWARD: That's a disguise - a very good one, in my view.

An excellent disguise.

Everyone will be getting one of these.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, that's a Groucho Marx mask.

JOHN HOWARD: Yes, and a very good one, in my view, Bryan.

INTERVIEWER: And what about this item?

JOHN HOWARD: That is a thing for finding studs in a wall, Bryan, and that is
obviously a rubber band and that is two tickets to a Frank Ifield concert.

INTERVIEWER: 1963.

JOHN HOWARD: It hasn't happened yet, but hang on to them.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, you've spoken to President Bush many times.

JOHN HOWARD: Yes, I have.

INTERVIEWER: And what does he say to you?

JOHN HOWARD: Hang on a minute, I haven't finished yet.

INTERVIEWER: Oh, sorry, go ahead.

JOHN HOWARD: Go ahead what?

INTERVIEWER: When you talk to the President, what does he say to you?

JOHN HOWARD: I just told you what he says to me.

INTERVIEWER: I haven't finished yet?

JOHN HOWARD: Yep.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard have you asked him how you deal with someone you
suspect of using weapons of mass destruction when you're using weapons of
mass destruction -

JOHN HOWARD: No, Bryan, it didn't come up.

We're discussing things of considerable moment.

INTERVIEWER: Have you also asked him how the UN can act as the ultimate
authority if someone's telling them what to do?

JOHN HOWARD: Listen to this.

This is not bad.

You'll enjoy this.

Did you hear the one about the woman who backed into an aircraft propeller?

INTERVIEWER: No.

What happened?

JOHN HOWARD: Disaster!

That's quite good, isn't it?

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard -

JOHN HOWARD: It's very good, Peter.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, has President Bush said anything logical about the war
yet?

JOHN HOWARD: I don't know, Bryan.

INTERVIEWER: Why not?

JOHN HOWARD: I've got a fridge magnet.

INTERVIEWER: It keeps logic away as well?

JOHN HOWARD: Why do you think we're sending them out to Australians, Bryan?

That's the last thing we want - a bit of logic in the community.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, thanks for your time.

JOHN HOWARD: Don't thank me, son.

No, put the funny party hat on and we'll sing the song together.

INTERVIEWER: The song?

JOHN HOWARD: Yep.

INTERVIEWER: 'Yankee Doodle Dandy'?

JOHN HOWARD: Yep, come on, you're an Australian, aren't you?

(Sings) * Yankee McDoodle went to town, riding on a - * what's that word?

INTERVIEWER: Pony.

JOHN HOWARD: *..pony, he stuck his head up - * Oh!

INTERVIEWER: Thank you.