philip pocock on Mon, 17 Feb 2003 03:45:29 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> other than pocock's boycotts

the term i use 'embargo' in my open letter to manovich, you humorously
equate with boycott.
" the term Boycott comes from Colonel Boycott, a person so horrible to
work for that his workers refused to harvest his fields."
http://www.dcrtv.net/mb0206b.html

it's not however what i intend to say exactly. an online embargo
distinguishes itself from a RL embargo. i intend by embargo, no
censoring or 'boycotting' but simply a concept-clarifying open forum
that exposes for the online record, the misappropriation of terms, their
muddling by manovich, for motivations only he knows.

the best boycott is an open forum. thanks for taking part. i hope you'll
take time to continue.

my hope is that with it, the underlying paradigm of media influencing
the polit-media stars, ie B&B, is not to be given a cosmetically-termed
database facelift as soft cinema does.

if one of the teams working in the field with proper understanding of
datadase tech and media art gets lucky and makes a break through without
making new media systems backward-compatible to inappropriate paradigms
for database media as soft cinema does, there is movement, horizon and
hope.

the affect and effect of manovich's promotion of so-called 'database
cinema' asks both those who are and are not familiar with database
technology to set back their system clock to pre-OOP database sytems -
focus instead on contemporary misnomers like soft cinema, rather that
imagining any quiet revolution that new media database coding might
cause in thev tired media-prop cultural production loop. as labyrinthian
as manovich might inscribe his closed circle. Chewing gum for the
eyeballs, is how buckie fuller would perhaps describe soft cinema.

what soft cinema ignores, consciously or not, is that (Open Database
Management Systems) blurs lines between consumption (classic media-prop)
and the emerging of user participation, co-production of knowledge (and
media art). Soft cinema gives any ground new media may open back to the
classic control of tv news, using databases of the soft cinema sort for
decades (without manovich's mondrianesque, eye-candy effect). manovich
flavors his GUI's consumers with what they already are feeding on with a
growing scepticism.

a brief timeline on database tech:
- 1950s Database technology evolved as a solution to manage access to
shared data.
- 1961, BASE-BALL provided access to data via natural language
processing.
- 1962, multi-valued DBMS (Database Management System) began with the
Generalized Information Retrieval and Listing System (GIRLS).
- 1970, Relational, SQL (Structured Query Language) and Beyond from
Codd's seminal work.
- 1993, the Object Data Management Group (ODMG) created the first
standard for object databases, based on OOP (Object-Oriented
Programming).
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North/db_hall.htm

Is it not peculiar that ML would have the brashness to title his book
keying on the subject of databases 'Language of New Media'. Certainly it
is not useful to media artists and students searching and experimenting
with current database tools.

Am Sunday den, 16. February 2003, um 16:38, schrieb Heiko Recktenwald:

> Hi Pocock, btw ;-)
>
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, McKenzie Wark wrote:
>
>> Mr Pocock confuses two relatively separate things, but it seems to me
>> he makes an excellent point under each heading anyway.
>>
>> 1. why not boycott the media product of the United States and its
 <...>

philip pocock
gabelsbergerstr. 1 d-76135 karlsruhe germany
mobile/sms +49 1707 369 870
tel +49 721 845 715  fax +49 721 830 2714

the more we share, the more we have. - l.nimoy