Bruce Sterling on Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:43:31 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> NYC tactical radio

*Interesting "tactical media" NYC angle here.

*I wonder how long it will take before people begin
routinely referring to the USA as an Iron Curtain
country with state-restricted official news agencies.

bruces

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dave Burstein <dave@dslprime.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:58:09 -0500
To: dave@farber.net
Subject: Technologies of the New York march

Dave

Three technologies played a crucial role Saturday.

* I was surprised old-fashioned radios were everywhere, some
smalltransistor models and some boomboxes. The police contained most of
thedemonstrators, myself included, up to a mile away from the
speakers,without any way to hear the event. WBAI-FM, New York's community
radiostation, suspended all other programming and carried the event live.
Thatproved to be the only way most could hear.

* The web was crucial for the organizers of the march. I remembertraveling
20 hours in crowded car to get together to organize an eventyears ago; many
political people I know now do most work by email.

*  Wireless phones coordinated the field people trying to keep the demoin
some order, despite twice the expected attendance and policeregulations
that were very counterproductive, creating a false security.Howard
Rheingold in Smart Mobs tells remarkable stories of how the anti-Estrada
movement in the Philippines was pulled together by cellphone text messages.

Resurgent community radio brings the issues of "media concentration" at the
FCC into sharp relief. While WBAI reported from the left, Rupert Murdoch's
New York Post had a front cover with doctored photos of the French and
German U.N. ambassadors with a weasel replacing their heads. I hope that
even many of those who believe that war opponents are weasels can agree
with me that a country is better off with media that covers both opinions.
  Concentration in an industry like vitamins of telephony leads to higher
prices; in broadcasting, the stakes are whether our democracy hears diverse
opinions.

     These freedom of speech issues carry over and may become the next
battleground over the fast internet. The technology is ready to deliver the
third internet, fast enough to watch. But it looks like most homes will
only have a choice of two providers, one cable and one telco. They have a
financial interest - and active plans - to restrict your reliable internet
connection to less than the meg or so required for TV quality video. (That
includes those advertising 1.5 meg but designing a network that makes that
false advertising much of the time.) Instead, SBC, Comcast, Nortel, and
Cisco talk at industry events about revenues they expect to gather from
"content delivery" - a toll on the internet that will effectively limit
choice.

     With four comments on the march already posted, I would have saved
that thought for another time. But your last posting

"they proceeded to attack and destroy the Starbucks"

was very different from the crowds I spent several hours among. All I saw
were peaceful marchers, singing and chanting slogans.  With probably
200,000 people, many of them young and desperate to stop a war, I'm not
surprised some broke windows and signs. But people like that were perhaps
one in a thousand.

Dave Burstein

------ End of Forwarded Message