Quim Gil on Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:31:29 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Ready.gov

I like spoof websites but some real websites are better than any spoof
version you could think for them...

http://ready.gov
>From the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Terrorism forces us to make a choice.

Don't be afraid... B e  R e a d y

MAKE A KIT
Water & Food
Clean Air
First Aid Kit
Supply Checklists
Special Needs Items

MAKE A PLAN
Creating a Family Plan
Deciding to Stay or Go
At Work and School
In a Moving Vehicle
In a High-Rise Building

BE INFORMED
About what might happen

Biological Threat   Chemical Threat   Explosions
Nuclear Blast Radiation Threat

etc...

For instance, if There is a Nuclear Blast "Take cover immediately, below
ground if possible, though any shield or shelter will help protect you
from the immediate effects of the blast and the pressure wave."

You must be kinda Bruce Lee to do that, but the second thing to do is
even more interesting:

"Quickly assess the situation."

For instance, check that your investments are still OK in the stock
exchange. Or try to tune CNN in your TV (if you still have one, or a
wall to plug it).

http://www.ready.gov/nuclear.html

It reminds me that episode of The Young Ones in which the hippy creates
a nuclear shelter in his shared council flat in London...

Quim