Francis Hwang on Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:33:57 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Should Open SOurce Developers help the US prepare for War..???!

Quote from interviewee Anthony L. Awtrey:

> I know there have been reports of [terrorists] using PGP / GPG to
> encrypt
> messages.  That has to give Phil Zimmermann the shivers sometimes.

Well, no, it doesn't.

http://www.landfield.com/isn/mail-archive/2001/Sep/0123.html

Personally, I think open source programmers need to be as conscious of
ethical concerns as closed source programmers. Not much more, much less.

In a general sense, when you release uncontrollable code into the
world, you have to ask yourself what you think about human nature. This
echoes the constant debate in the security community about
vulnerability disclosure. Me, I'm on the side that errs towards
disclosure, which I suppose makes me an optimist. In most situations I
think disclosure is a good thing because the number of white hats
working to patch bugs are greater than the number of black hats working
to exploit them for antisocial ends. In the case of PGP: Is it more
likely to be used by those working for constructive ends than
destructive ends? Do the Chinese dissidents on this earth outweigh the
Al Queda operatives?

Francis