nettime's_synthesist on Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:30:07 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> no (america|europe) digest [holmes, terranova, .__.]

Re: There is no America and Europe
     Brian Holmes <brian.holmes@wanadoo.fr>
     tiziana <tterra@btopenworld.com>
     ". __ ." <mail_box@gmx.net>

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:16:54 +0100
From: Brian Holmes <brian.holmes@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: There is no America and Europe

Ken Wark writes:

>The vectoralization of power produces a split in the powers of empire.
>Empire is not unitary. It is a dual power.

Well, I'd say it's at least a triple power, to the extent that
corporate interests, state interests, and popular protagonism can all
be contradictory. But if we're talking about geopolitics, which the
word "empire" seems to connote in just about any way you use it, then
there are other factors too: interstate alliances, conflicts between
different regional regulations of capital, the play of popular
opinions within and between states. And I'm not entirely sure that
conceiving all this as being produced or driven by "vectoralization"
really adds that much. It's certainly a networked world, but that
single aspect doesn't cover everything.

>On the one hand, the vectoral
>class has its (neo)liberal wing. It is committed to the accelerated
>vectoralization of world trade, and the consolidation of its own power
>through a global regime of intellectual property, aided and abetted by the
>monopolization of the means of the realization of information as value --
>media and communication.

Yeah. Here the word "vectoral" at least gives an idea that we're
talking about people with transnational interests. Negri and Hardt
say "the aristocracy," which is funnier, and I say "the transnational
capitalist class" 'cause that's basically what it is. It wants all
what MacKenzie says. But its committments are not always realizable.
Look at the stock market. Yesterday the Dow closed at 7,568 - down
9.27% since January 1. Same trend for the European stock markets,
dramatically worse for the Nikkei, which hit its lowest in 20 years.
The Dow, which was above 11,000 three years ago, still has a ways to
fall before the pre-bubble level, around 5,000. The falls translate
as a lack of agency for businessmen: they no longer have the power to
move people around that they did when money was easy to raise on the
stock market. The financial press is full of businessmen proclaiming
that uncertainty and war are bad for business. 'Twas ever thus, Mr.
Natural used to say. Businessmen like nice little wars where they can
safely sell rockets; they really dislike big nasty wars that affect
the fundamental balances on which the whole economy is based. But the
downward slide of the markets began long ago, before Sept. 11, and it
hasn't been redressed by anything. The basic reason is that
individual investors, non-institutional investors who can chose where
to place their capital, have not chosen the stock market since tech
stocks fell, then since Enron, WorldCom, etc. Why? Because they
preceive real problems. When Davos took the theme of confidence this
year, there was a reason. The transnational capitalist class is
sitting on a huge failure of the financial globalization model that
was promoted, and in fact, is still being promoted, by the Wall
Street-Treasury complex (you have to realize that the IMF is
basically controlled by its largest contributor, the US Treasury). So
the businessmen, the people who respond best, in my opinion, to the
word "vectoral", are fucked right now.

>But the vectoral class has another faction, more dependent on the national
>state, not least in its capacity as military procurer.

Traditional Marxists call the state a collective capitalist. Well,
maybe that's a bit simplistic. States are always attempts to bind
contrary interests together, and each attempt looks distorted to
those who are cut out. In the Clinton years, when the Treasury was a
key department in the government, the US pursued a more-or-less
multilateralist approach to foreign policy, with big steps forward
both in terms of trade (the WTO, NAFTA, work on the FTAA) and in
terms of military cooperation (the UN and NATO in the Kosovo war). So
that was "vectorialist," if you want, or "Imperial" in the Negri and
Hardt sense. The businessmen were cut in, the military too.
Meanwhile, the domestic economy took care of itself during the boom,
and despite the fact that terrible processes of exclusion took place
all over the world, Americans who owned stock, or dreamed of doing
so, increasingly acted like arrogant, short-sighted, fatuous idiots,
which probably has some long-term effects on the personality, but
whatever. Let's say that the Clintonian compromise looked distorted
to those who were cut out of the way it managed the world economy.
The problem is, you can't win on all these levels at once, and at
everyone else's expense.  The root of the globalization model's
failure is that in a wide-open, free-market world-economy, everybody
competes like madmen against everybody else, and after an untenable
upward spiral in the realm of accumulation - the new-economy boom -
the result is a downward spiral in terms of the real economy, i.e.
deflation. In the meantime, confidence, solidarity and reciprocity
collapse, while all the non-market forms of social reproduction fall
apart. In the end, the businessmen and stockholders get what they
deserve, but unfortunately, the rest of us get it too, because
society just can't survive on purely market calculations. And at this
exact point, whadda ya know? There is a change in the way that the
American state seeks to bind together contrary interests. Exit the
people who think that multilateralism and world trade are the way to
go. Exit the people who want a balanced budget and a strong dollar.
Exit the Secretary Rubins and the Labor Secretary Robert Reichs who
wanted to educate the American population into high-class
symbolic-analyst jobs in an infinitely expanding and peaceful world
economy where Americans run all the businesses, just naturally,
'cause they're clean-shaven and they like pop music. Enter the people
who think they can hold onto power by asserting direct state control
over society, through military mobilization, intense propaganda,
serious policing and censorship, all paid for by a new round of
deficit spending that working people will eventually reimburse. The
fact that culturally, these new ruling elites are, in part, Christian
fundamentalists is quite coherent with their disciplinary approach.
The perceived need to make this statist turn is based, unfortunately,
on an historical understanding of how the US faced the crisis of the
1930s and of WW II. So US policy now bears some strange resemblance
to the model of what Karl Polanyi calls "the crustacean nation." It
tries to pull into a shell when the outside world becomes
uncontrollable. That's the gut reaction we're looking at. The
difference is that, since the situation has changed since the 1930s,
the US now thinks it must extend its shell to cover large parts of
the earth. Including sandy countries way out there in the Middle East.

OK, so if we agree to call the above changes in the form of the
American state "vectoral," just as we call the developments in the
realm of transnational capitalism "vectoral" (and this is basically
the condition for talking with Ken, who is quite brilliant in all
other respects), then we get to this:

>Now, what is significant is that these two forms of vectoral power are not
>necessarily in agreement. And neither are they synonymous with 'America'.
>They are, if anything, what is tearing the United States apart. They are
>the forces that prevent it from becoming a 'normal' state.

Yeah. Because a "normal" state tries to control the conditions for
economic and social development within its "shell," i.e. its
territory. But when the conditions of social and economic development
depend largely on extraterritorial activity, you no longer have
"normal" states. (Historians would point out that Victorian England,
a world-girdling empire, was also not a "normal" state.) Instead, you
have situations where states have to pursue a regulatory model beyond
their frontiers. And they have to do so, in order to achieve the
effects they are looking for *inside* their frontiers. This, by the
way, is the case for all the major states right now, which are all
involved in bloc-formation or other complex alliances, the most
obvious case being the European states, which are certainly not
"normal" if normal means territorial. The difference is that the
shape of the consensus in the US right now - the balance of interests
that the state binds together - is pushing it toward the option of
regualting the social and economic conditions of its existence by
military power. Set up a command economy, impose a military
discipline on the population, go out and take control of a primary
resource, and while doing all that, strike fear into the heart of any
potential enemy whom you can't murder outright: that's US policy
under the Bush crowd. It's one helluva' vector, that's for sure.

>And so there is an additional reason to think the argument Franco Berardi
>makes is pertinent. In his terms, not only is there no 'Europe', there is
>no 'United States'. One might rather speak of the Untied States.

Indeed, and on a world level. As I said, in agreement with Berardi,
we're looking at a rift in Empire. But it's not the businessmen who
are actually doing it, even if, in my reading, they are distantly
responsible for it. They're just moaning and trying to keep a low
profile since, shall we say, their credit is not so good. The rift is
happening at two levels. One one hand, the alliance systems are
coming unglued (UN, NATO, British-US special relationship, enlarged
neoliberal EU). On the other hand, the current system of
representative media-democracy, where "leaders" can make any decision
they want once they engineer their elections, is being challenged by
the protagonism of people engaging in non-formal politics (what
Ulrich Beck calls "subpolitics," because it comes from below). My
belief is that the subpolitics is one of the forces driving the rift
at the level of the alliance system. The leaders are actually afraid
of being held accountable by the populations on this issue. This is
new, because even if the counter-globalization movement foreshadowed
and laid the groundwork for this development, it didn't get near so
far because the movement was never so big. Now the
counterglobalization movement is the peace movement, it's the
thinking, political core of the peace movement. And now I think "we"
can, to a certain extent, chose the shape we want the rift to take,
and thus, the future shape of a new alliance system which will emerge
in one way or another, because the world can't do without it. "We" do
this to the extent that we engage in collective thinking, which
actually happens, as you can see by the forms of networked
co-ordination across the world that are producing the peace movement.
Vectors everywhere!

>Rather than imagine that the new movements confront "the dynamics of a
>profiteering world system", as Brian Holmes suggests, what might be more
>to the point is to realize that this too is a totalizing, dialectical
>figure. It too can blind us to the internal dissonance within the regime
>of empire itself.

Maybe. It's true that for me to uphold that specific phrase, I have
to make an argument which is not a sound-bite or a logo, 'cause it
has two ideas, followed by a third. It says that the model of world
development via global finance in the 80s-90s led to the military
crisis that opens the 21st century. In other words, it says that the
agressive, statist form of empire results from the failure of the
transnational capitalist form of empire. And then the argument brings
in a third term, popular protagonism, in order to say this: that many
many people realize the world is potentially headed to a kind of
living hell, because after all, some of them lived through the 30s
and 40s, they saw what it was like, and the rest of us have got the
picture. The point now is to try to halt the military response to
economic and social crisis. That's the crucial point. That's also
where Europe can intervene in some way. But the danger that Franco
Berardi alias "Bifo" points out, is that a new nationalism of the
continental bloc could arise in Europe, instead of a truly viable
internationalism that would take into account the inequalities and
failures of human development that are at the root of the military
conflicts. The point here is not to be "anti-EU." The point is to try
to inflect certain developments in the EU which would make it either
into a free-trade bloc (basically the English position), or into a
free-trade bloc with special privileges for some (the German-French
position)... We can imagine something better - and maybe even realize
it.

In this situation where the collective co-ordination is so important,
I guess it's up to intellectuals (means: people who think, people who
write) to make clear arguments which try to place recognizable names
on recognizable things, and try to show where those things are going.
Cause in the end, that's about all you can do with words.

>It may be time to look for ways to leverage a whole series of
>contradictions. Between the two aspects of the vectoral empire, for a
>start. Between the vectoral class in either of its guises and the
>interests of the American people. Between the vectoral class and other
>states. Between these other states and their peoples...

Happy 21st century! Vectors ahoy!

Brian