nettime's digest on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 01:32:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> There are only Vectors [2x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> There are only Vectors
     "McKenzie Wark" <mckenziewark@hotmail.com>

   RE: <nettime> There are only Vectors
     "Eugene Thacker" <eugene.thacker@lcc.gatech.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:01:13 -0500
From: "McKenzie Wark" <mckenziewark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> There are only Vectors

David writes that "surely power has always had a vector." yes, but its
historical-technical form changes. The most significant change, in my
view, beginning with the telegraph, which bifurcates time, splitting the
time of the movement of information from that of objects and subjects.

I don't really find this in Virilio, who does speak about differentials of
speed, or the gearbox of speeds. But in the main i think my approach is
quite different. Virilio does not really address what I am calling third
nature, where the landscape of the communication vector becomes a space
and time over and above the space and time of things, both directing it
and managing it, but also producing new kinds of 'accident', or what i
call the weird global media event.

Thanks to Miguel for mentioning the epidemological use of the term vector,
which is also a good way of understanding the term. A vector for HIV is
human blood; a vector for cholera is water. It defines a space of
possibility and also of impossibility. You can't get AIDS from drinking
water; cholera cannot really use the air as a vector, etc. Even within the
space of possibility, it doesn't determin why *this* blood, *this* water
is actualized as the vector. Or in other words, this is a 'technological
possibilist' line of thought, not a technological determinism.

I would point out to Are that I was *not* one of those people wetting
their pants over headsets and data gloves. In fact these are the concepts
by which i managed to *avoid* some of the fetishisms of technoculture
writing.

Of course you are all free to just worship at the feet of famous names,
and attribute all that is good in thought to your favorite idols. Or we
can think for ourselves, here and now, by finding what is productive in
each other's thought. That way might lie an ethics of the vector...

http://subsol.c3.hu/subsol_2/contributors0/warktext.html
                   ... we no longer have roots, we have aerials ...