nettime's_indexical_utterance on Fri, 14 Mar 2003 01:02:32 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> vector, all to vector digest [snelson, wark, flagan]

Subject: Re: <nettime> There are only Vectors
     Kermit Snelson <ksnelson@subjectivity.com>
     "McKenzie Wark" <mckenziewark@hotmail.com>
     Are Flagan <areflagan@artpanorama.com>

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:18:42 -0500
Subject: Re: <nettime> There are only Vectors [2x]
From: Are Flagan <areflagan@artpanorama.com>

Re: 3/12/03 22:12, "nettime's digest" <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>:

> David writes that "surely power has always had a vector." yes, but its
> historical-technical form changes. The most significant change, in my
> view, beginning with the telegraph, which bifurcates time, splitting the
> time of the movement of information from that of objects and subjects.

One can equally argue that the most significant change, and split, came with
Genesis, when God used words to create things. The time and space warp has
always been the technological forte, from the steam engine puff-puff train
to the TGV, and has figured in just about every accounts of the why, what,
when and how of another progressive time. This is why this "splitting" of
the time of the movement of information from that of objects and subjects
becomes problematic to accept as a condition. The speed of this
transportation vector is of course changing, as always, but the proposed
split is arguably not a result of the telegraph, as information, and only
when thus thought, has by some ontological measure been separated from its
material strata. Instead of separating information from materiality to
create another time, which is a suppressed side-effect what you are doing to
form a premise, one could say much more clearly that it is actually the
substance of materiality and this materiality's ability to move that has
changed. In the case of the telegraph; the encoding of signals in
electricity made a quantum leap in speed possible. But did it create another
time zone? Did it split information from subjects and objects? Of course
not, information was embodied in electricity, which moved at a faster speed
over longer distances than a truckload of letters. Morse's own desire is
quite instrumental here. He literally expressed a wish to make electricity
_visible_, and it is precisely in this coming into sight through another
matter, with the ability to encode and embed, that the gain in speed lies.
(We are now hot on the heels of light.) The fact that information is hard to
see and hear when passing through the wire does not in itself justify a
twilight zone of vectors.

> I don't really find this in Virilio, who does speak about differentials of
> speed, or the gearbox of speeds. But in the main i think my approach is
> quite different. Virilio does not really address what I am calling third
> nature, where the landscape of the communication vector becomes a space
> and time over and above the space and time of things, both directing it
> and managing it, but also producing new kinds of 'accident', or what i
> call the weird global media event.

The accidental effect is very much agreed upon. But we don't need the
vectors of third nature to call 911. The collapse of the WTC was arguably
precisely such a made-for-TV event of speeds and technologies violently
crashing. Does is matter if this collision course is then called a vector? I
think the fact that we are now discussing nomenclature instead of positions
and effects tells me that it matters in a way that is quite unproductive.

> Thanks to Miguel for mentioning the epidemological use of the term vector,
> which is also a good way of understanding the term. A vector for HIV is
> human blood; a vector for cholera is water. It defines a space of
> possibility and also of impossibility. You can't get AIDS from drinking
> water; cholera cannot really use the air as a vector, etc. Even within the
> space of possibility, it doesn't determin why *this* blood, *this* water
> is actualized as the vector. Or in other words, this is a 'technological
> possibilist' line of thought, not a technological determinism.

This is the same mindset repeated; the vector terminology becomes a
superfluous, yet potentially instrumental, modeling kit. Personally I truly
enjoy James "double helix" Watson these days. After his landmark lecture on
melanin and savage black sexuality (featuring slides of bikini-clad girls),
he has proposed to eradicate stupidity and make all girls pretty. Honestly.
We rather need to vector that in when talking about the possibility and
determinism of modeling.

> I would point out to Are that I was *not* one of those people wetting
> their pants over headsets and data gloves. In fact these are the concepts
> by which i managed to *avoid* some of the fetishisms of technoculture
> writing.
> Of course you are all free to just worship at the feet of famous names,
> and attribute all that is good in thought to your favorite idols. Or we
> can think for ourselves, here and now, by finding what is productive in
> each other's thought. That way might lie an ethics of the vector...

My contention was rather that you are creating another techno-fetish for the
information age with all the distinctly mathematical-logical vector talk.
Although I can grasp a tangential handle on what you are talking about, to
inevitably redraw the Bezier to fit my own way of thinking, it returns
precisely to what you want others to distill as useful. The Derrida postcard
mentioned contains, in my view, a useful note on any telegram from nowhere.
I'll try sending it again. Anyone who has read your stuff here and elsewhere
knows that you're not by any means a one-trick writer, so the question is if
this theoretical framework and trademark of the vector, which seems
strangely akin to some kind of universal flowchart in application, is worth
riding like the famous thought experiment that carried Einstein to
celebrated relativity. Look how that simulation brand effectively killed off
Baudrillard when it was no longer the hippest thing around. While there may
indeed be vectors everywhere, I think and hope that we are past another
round of completely confusing the map with the territory. (Although it is
remarkable how nettime jumped on this vector business, just as the world, as
we pretend to know it, appears ready to be redrawn in blood red. Ah, the
luxurious comfort of bubble baths...)

-af