nettime on Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:57:38 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> [IRAQ] 030327 digest [august, cox, buhard]

august <august@alien.mur.at>
    civilian casualties reported
David Cox <d.cox@mailbox.gu.edu.au>
    We Stand for Peace & Justice (Zmag)
"Elnor Buhard" <buhard@mail.com>
    al jazeera please

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:23:21 +0100 (CET)
From: august <august@alien.mur.at>
Subject: civilian casualties reported

below you will find a story of a severed hand.

if anything, it will demonstrate the suffering and risk that have been
inflicted on the Iraqi people.

if anything, it will demonstrate the impossiblity of 'true' or
'empirical' reporting.

if anything, it will demonstrate that in deed there are GREAT risks of
civilian casualties.

	-august.

----------------

Robert Fisk (on site in Iraq) writes:

"It was an outrage, an obscenity. The severed hand on the metal door, the
swamp of blood and mud across the road, the human brains inside a garage,
the incinerated, skeletal remains of an Iraqi mother and her three small
children in their still-smouldering car.

Two missiles from an American jet killed them all  by my estimate, more
than 20 Iraqi civilians, torn to pieces before they could be 'liberated'
by the nation that destroyed their lives."

see: http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=391165

---------------

New York times writes:

"BAGHDAD, Iraq, March 26  Two large explosions that detonated
simultaneously in a working-class district of Baghdad this morning,
killing 17 civilians and wounding 45, set off a scramble by Iraq to blame
the United States for indiscriminate bombing, and prompted a suggestion
from the Pentagon that the Iraqis themselves might have been responsible."

of course, the nytimes writes that American officials said they do not
know the cause but that "...they could not rule out an errant American
bomb or missile,.."

however, in the nytimes slideshow, it actually shows the severed hand...

see: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2003/03/26/international/27BAGH_slideshow_hicks_5.html
(if the link somehow doesn't work, you can find it on the front page under
'Blasts in Baghdad' slideshow)

but comments:
"Iraqi officials said an American plane or missile was responsible for the
blasts."