nettime's_embedded_controller on Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:11:04 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> [IRAQ] digest 030328 [minx, eliot, schneider, r_r, armitage]

   civil disobedience in New York at  8:00 A.M March 27>
  minx@bway.net
   Re: al jaz mirror
  caron eliot <caron_eliot@yahoo.com.au>
   antiwar media space and radio in london
  florian schneider <fls@kein.org>
   SF Chron journo suspended for arrest in protest
  nettime's_roving_reporter <nettime@bbs.thing.net>
   Independent Russian site in English on War on Iraq
  J Armitage <j.armitage@unn.ac.uk>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:38:58 -0500 (EST)
From: minx@bway.net
Subject: civil disobedience in New York at  8:00 A.M March 27>

About 100 demonstrators were arrested this morning on Fifth Avenue at 50th
Street in front of Rockefeller Center (and Saks Fifth Avnue).  At 8:20
demonstators who had lined the sidewalks lay down in the middle of 5th Avenue
stopping all traffic heading south on this oneway main artery in New York City.
About 10 minutes after the die in began larger numbers of cops and
plainclothesmen swarmed the area, vans pulled up and the arrests began. Traffic
was stalled for about an hour. No business as usual.

Perry Bard