Louise Desrenards on Thu, 15 May 2003 18:11:10 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> What on virtual proper body? Que reste-t-il du corps virtuel ?

Synchronism:
According to Sloterdijk telling from Heidegger that the criticism (and from
Canetti: that the History) disappear arising the event, Antoine Schmitt's
Works could be both a live answer on the proper body of virtual art as a
perpetual metamorphous of the system, and from another part: the body flesh
of the artist... burning his time and his energy as constructing virtual
machines on art like conceptual being machines.

Diachronism:
>From a part: Schmitt is the editor and the holder of the most famous free
server-list on contemporary art in Paris during the nineties: "olalaparis":
an announcement list on performances online, an interactive game on words
and avatars between the subscribers. It was an addictive list about the
rhythm and numerous posts, anyone with icons, and often turning to crazy
games... (I was one of the players at last, but at the beginning they
designed me from my difference (age) as a victim ;-)

To-day the list is still existing but with moderation and specially applied
to the performances offline: all the contrary...

>From another part, same time, Antoine Schmitt was working on algorithms and
now he is an artist on virtual compositions. His musical nanos are sumptuous
and fascinating primitive being machines.

Surely he could tell more than anyone in France on the virtual utopia since
1987, and on the representations acting it inside and outside. Which could
result from it to the actual environment ? But instead of speech he goes on
play but creating event-driven and exceptional objects and playing them live
in performances...

O.D.

quote
PS same best: do you remind of another virtual way of popular art on daily
Press by:
http://www.unregardmoderne.com/mainpage/index.html ?

---

Performance 'nanomachine' by Antoine Schmitt (FR), iMAL @ "Centre Dansaert",
friday 16.5.2003

: friday 16.5.03 , 20h30
: iMAL @ Cafe Toots, Centre Dansaert, 7 rue d'Aloststraat, 1000 Bruxel
: 3 EUR

:: ENglish then NL [French below]

Nanomachine: a rythmic semi-autonomous complex machine.
An audiovisual improvisation and performance.
A public fight with a minimal 'Gesamtkunstwerk' in development.
Nanomachine is the continuation of Antoine Schmitt's visual work in the
field of audiovisual performance.

Nanoensemble : a set of little detuned visual and musical automatas, which
evolve endlessly and autonomously. In-between the individual presence of
the objects and sounds, and presence of the ensemble.

Each automata has its own behavior and audiovisual shape; they all interact
and influence each other to create a complex rythmic machine which is easy
to undestand as a whole but at the same time difficult to grasp due to its
complexity. The audio signature of the ensemble is a mix of ambiguous
rythmic sampling loops, a kind of generalisation of Steve Reich's Pendulum
Music. The visual aspect is extremely light and soft. Exemples of such
nanoensembles can be seen on line on http://www.gratin.org/as/nanos/

In the Nanomachine performance, Antoine Schmitt improvises a slow
construction and dis-construction of many nanoensembles. The construction
process is difficult as the machines use to be unstable. As for a musical
improvisation, the whole process is open and visible.

Nanomachine is a new form of VJ/DJ expression based on real time autonomous
programmed systems. The usual pictures and sounds are the audiovisual side
effects of some complex underlying processes.
Sounds are not following visuals, nor the inverse : they are both
originating from the same machine and its many constituting objects.
Causality is slightly untuned and always changing (from object to image or
sound, from an object to its neighbors, from an object to the overall
ensemble) : both sensual perceptions and reasoning of the spectator are
constantly triggered and he is moved between reality and abstraction.
Frank Stella told :  "What you see is what you see". Here the only question
for the spectator is what he is feeling.
Nanomachine is a public fight with a minimal 'Gesamtkunstwerk' in
development.

:: about Antoine Schmitt

Artist and Programmer, Antoine Schmitt stands at the crossing of
abstraction and dynamic simulation. Since 1995, he has been molding
software algorithms to create audio and visual objects, in the form of
installations, online artworks and performances.
Autonomy and abstraction are his research paths, realtime software
programming is his tool. Antoine Schmitt hunts down the shape of the being
deep inside human nature. Happening underneath langage and meaning,
sensation is at the heart of his artworks.

more info on http://www.gratin.org/as

:: NL

Nanomachine.
Een complexe en semi-autonome ritmische machine.
Een geïmproviseerde audiovisuele performance.
Een publieke confrontatie met een minimale Gesamtkunstwerk in wording.

Nanomachine is een audiovisuele performance, een extensie van het beeldend
werk van Antoine Schmitt, waarin hij de creatie van nanoensembles in
publiek improviseert.

Een nanoensemble is een geheel van minimale objecten, elk met een eigen
vorm, geluid en een autonome gedrag, die zijn buren aanzet en beïnvloed.
Die als dusdanig leven geeft aan een ingewikkelde en semi-autonome
ritmische machine, die door zijn complexiteit zowel volledig begrijpbaar
als uiterst desoriënterend is. Het klankteken is een mix van geluidssamples
in ritmische ambigue loops, een soort van een extreme veralgemening van de
Pendulum muziek van Steve Reich, waarbij het visuele aspect zeer abstract
lichtgevend en zacht is.

Voorbeelden van nanoensembles kunnen gezien worden op het web op
http://www.gratin.org/as/nanos/

In nanomachine, improviseert Antoine Schmidtt zulke nanoansembles met een
trage constructie en deconstructie, de één na de ander, door gebruik van
een zelf ontworpen software. De opbouw ervan is vrij delicaat zoals
machines vaak onstabiel worden. Zoals voor een muzikale improvisatie, is
het geheel van het opbouwproces aldus volledig open en leesbaar.

Voorts is nanomachine een nieuwe uitdrukking, in het veld van VJ's/DJ's,
waarin autonome geprogrammeerde systemen in real time als volwaardig medium
naar voren worden geschoven, en waarin tradionele media met beelden en
geluid worden aanzien als manifestaties van processen en onderliggende
krachten. Met nanomachine, is het niet de klank die het beeld volgt noch
het beeld de klank: beide vinden hun oorsprong in dezelfde machine, of
eerder in veelvoudige objecten die het geheel samenstellen. Het feit dat in
nanomachine, de oorzakelijkheid (van het object tot het beeld en geluid,
van een object tot zijn buren, van een object tot het geheel) enigszins
ontregeld en altijd wisselend is, legt expliciet de nadruk op deze
benadering. Continu worden het gevoel en het redeneren van het publiek
gesolliciteerd, en balanceert hun aandacht tussen realiteit en abstractie.
Frank Stella zei: "What you see is what you see", en dit, is wat het
publiek aanvoelt, en niets meer, en die dan vragen stelt. Nanomachine is
een publieke confrontatie met een minimaal Gesamtkunstwerk in wording.

:: over Antoine Schmitt

Kunstenaar en programmeur, Antoine Schmidtt plaatst zich aan de kruising
van abstractie en dynamische simulatie. Sinds 1995 werkt hij met
softwarealgoritmen om audio- en visuele objecten te creëren, onder vorm van
installaties, on-line kunstwerken en performances. Autonomie en abstractie
zijn zijn onderzoekswegen, het real-time programmeren zijn werktuig.
Antoine Schmitt zoekt naar de vorm van het zijn tot het diepst van de
menselijke aard. Naast taal en betekenis, staat het voelen centraal in zijn
kunst.
Meer info op http://www.gratin.org/as

nanomachine, a laptop performance by Antoine Schmitt (FR)

:: FRançais [ENglish & NL below]

La nanomachine
Une machine rythmique complexe et semi-autonome.
Une performance audio-visuelle improvisée.
Une lutte publique avec une Gesamtkunstwerk minimale en formation.

La nanomachine est une performance audio-visuelle, extension du travail
plastique d'Antoine Schmitt, dans laquelle il improvise la création
de nanoensembles en public.

Un nanoensemble est un ensemble d'objets minimaux, chacun ayant son
propre forme, son et comportement automone, qui déclenche et
influence celui de ses voisins, donnant ainsi naissance à une machine
rythmique complexe et semi-autonome, à la fois entièrement
appréhendable et complètement désiorientant en raison de sa
complexité. La signature audio est celle d'un mix d'échantillons
sonores en boucles rythmiques ambigües, sorte de généralisation
extrême de Pendulum Music de Steve Reich, l'aspect visuel est
fortement abstrait lumineux et mou. De tels nanoensembles peuvent
être vus sur le web sur http://www.gratin.org/as/nanos/

Dans la nanomachine, Antoine Schmitt improvise une lente construction et
déconstruction de tels nanoensembles, les uns après les autres, en
utilisant un outil logiciel développé par lui-même. La
construction est assez délicate comme les machines deviennent souvent
instables. Comme pour une improvisation musicale, l'ensemble du processus
de construction est ainsi complètement ouvert et lisible.

Par ailleurs, la nanomachine est une nouvelle expression, dans le
champ des VJs/DJs, dans laquelle les systèmes programmés temps réel
autonomes sont mis en avant comme matière à part entière, et dans laquelle
les médias traditionnels comme l'image ou le son sont considérés comme

des manifestations de processus et de forces sous-jascents.
Avec la nanomachine, ce n'est pas le son qui suit l'image ni l'image
qui suit le son: les deux trouvent leur origine dans la même machine,
ou plutôt dans les multiples objets qui composent l'ensemble.
Le fait que, dans la nanomachine, la causalité (de l'objet à l'image et

au son, d'un objet à ses voisins, d'un objet à l'ensemble) soit légèrement
dérèglée et toujours changeante, met explicitement l'accent sur cette
approche.
Les sens ainsi que le raisonnement du public sont constamment
sollicités, leur attention balançant entre réalité et abstraction.
Frank Stella disait : "What you see is what you see", et ici, c'est
ce que le public ressent, et rien de plus, qui le questionne. La
nanomachine est une lutte publique avec une Gesamtkunstwerk minimale
en formation.

:: sur Antoine Schmitt

Artiste et Programmeur, Antoine Schmitt se place au croisement de
l'abstration et de la simulation dynamique. Depuis 1995, il travaille les
algorithmes logiciels pour créer des objets audio et visuels, sous la forme
d'installations, d'oeuvres en ligne et de performances.
L'autonomie et l'abstration sont ses voies de recherche, la programmation
temps-réel est son outil. Antoine Schmitt traque la forme de l'être au plus
profond de la nature humaine. Infra-langage, la sensation est au coeur de
ses réalisations.
Plus d'infos sur http://www.gratin.org/as

Avec le soutien / With the support of / Met de steun van /
Communauté française de Belgique

Yves Bernard    yb@imal.org
asbl iMAL vzw, Bruxelles/Brussel
http://www.imal.org