Ryan Griffis on Thu, 15 May 2003 22:57:09 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> RE: PUBS: Thacker, Bioinformatics and Bio-Logics

"The nature-is-not-a-commodity agenda seems pretty
dead-ended to me, also quite ironic: why would the
critique - i.e. charges of biopiracy etc. -  affirm,
even if inadvertently, the character of 'nature' as
some kind of originary property? No 'theft' without
property relations, but I guess it's difficult
to think outside the (property) box, as they say.
Cheerio, Soenke"

true that the binary opposition used by most anti-GMO
movements relies on trad. property relations rhetoric
("biopiracy"), but i would suggest that this is
tactical, and doesn't have to be an ideological
foundation. if your trying to win an argument in a
capitalist arena, it might help to use (appropriate)
their language - you don't have to stick to an
ownership model in the long term, or even practise it
outside of the argumentation (what about notions of
collective ownership - "the commons"?). we could argue
the theoretical ramifications of this, which is very
important, but i'd rather argue them in an environment
where the arguments matter, and aren't just
compensations for material changes brought about by
parties invested in pushing biotech forward as fast as
possible.
best,
ryan