Francis Hwang on Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:49:02 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> apres nettime-bold, le digest [byfield, jordan]

My mischaracterization of Orlowski's body of writing for The Register
was sloppy hyperbole, and I apologize for it.

However, I still deeply mistrust his writing. I've read too many of his
stories that follow this pattern: Use a headline that greatly
exaggerates the significance of the facts reported, and fill the story
not with facts but with your own opinions, thus disguising an essay as
news, and marginality as significance.

(In its own way, I suppose, it's a rhetorical method that's well-suited
to the short-attention span problem that blogging can encourage: How
many Slashdot posters actually read the story before commenting on it?)

Some examples:

"Most bloggers 'are teenage girls' - survey"
(http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/30954.html)
Except it's just a survey about _Polish_ bloggers, who can't at all be
assumed to be representative of bloggers as a whole.

"Internet is dying - Prof. Lessig"
(http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/30733.html)
Except he only said that the end-to-end nature of the internet is
dying, as noted previously.

"Google to fix blog noise problem"
(http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/30621.html)
Except for the fact that Orlowski offers almost no attribution to this
conjecture except for saying that "sources suggest this is the most
likely option." Are these even _inside_ sources? Or is this just some
dude in an Internet cafe playing armchair CTO?

Maybe my psychologizing of Orlowski is just a nasty way of saying I
don't like his writing. To take a recent example, I found the
comparison of Googlewashing
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/30087.html) to Orwellian
newspeak to betray an astounding lack of perspective. (Not unlike
recent posts here about the quality of nettime, which try to turn
personal preference over list management into tubthumping ideological
statements.) Newspeak was backed by the power of the state and was
granted monopoly over all other interpretations of language, but if you
don't like Google, you can just stop using it.

At any rate, it would be a mistake to interpret my criticism of his
writing as a pledge of allegiance to the United States of Blog. I think
blogs can be really useful, but there's really quite a lot of silliness
there, too. I read a little of the blog evangelists, but I find myself
disagreeing with quite a bit. The preoccupation with technologically
aggregating personality and reputation (trackback, blogrolls, etc.) is
probably counterproductive: These aren't technological problems,
they're social, and hence resist automation. And I think many of the
evangelists tend to vastly underestimate the political hurdles they
face if they want to have a lasting impact on the outside world. (I
thought James Moore's "Second Superpower" piece, which led Orlowski to
coin the term "Googlewash", was embarrassingly naive at points.)

But then, what do we mean when we say "bloggers"? Some estimate that
there are 500,000 bloggers worldwide
(http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1218702).
But when we look at, say, the Blogdex (http://blogdex.media.mit.edu/)
we find that the top stories have really small numbers. As of this
writing, the top story is Slate's "Salam Pax is Real" story, but it
only has 40 inbound links. 40 out of 500,000? What the heck is
everybody else talking about? Well, quite a bit: I look at the most
recently updated blogs on Blogger.com and I get entries about
anti-Catholic bigotry, net-art, and Simon & Garfunkel. (I'm also seeing
text in French, Portuguese, Spanish, and Arabic.)

Blogs aren't a community. They're a technology. If you and I are both
set up at blogger.com that's no guarantee that we have anything in
common, just like it guarantees nothing if you and I both use email, or
cell-phones.

As with any other new endeavor, blogging's advocates include a lot of
self-promoters and charlatans. That's okay, though, because the words
of its most prominent advocates don't necessarily mean much when
compared the actions of its users. Listening too closely to the theory
is like watching a man's finger when he points to the moon. After all,
most people in this world don't depend on theoretical frameworks to
justify the things they do. They do what they think will work, and if
it stops working they stop doing it.

As to "what works": This varies for everybody, of course, but I find
that since I started reading news online using NetNewsWire I'm finding
that it's an excellent way to stay informed about technology and
politics. I'm a big fan of bloggers-as-filters, and now my reading
habits include newspapers and magazines in countries all around the
world, which I vastly prefer to, say, reading the New York Times and
wondering if the dateline is real. On the other hand, I don't
particularly find many bloggers saying much interesting about fine arts
or film or music. That's okay; I get that stuff elsewhere. There are a
half-million blogs out there. Luckily, you don't have to read all of
them.

Francis

On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 04:31  PM, nettime's_media_asset wrote:

> Re: <nettime> After nettime-bold, the Internet (Andrew Orlowski)
>      Ken Jordan <ken@kenjordan.tv>
>      t byfield <tbyfield@panix.com>
 <...>