Sonia Katyal on Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:21:08 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Graffiti Artists and other illegal art

Hi everyone,

I've never posted to this list, but have been a member for a while and have
really enjoyed some of the discussions that have circulated here.  By way of
introduction, I'm a law professor at Fordham Law School in New York City, where
I teach intellectual property and property.

This summer, I am working on a project that involves studying (mostly)
guerrilla art--I'm specifically interested in graffit art, and groups that
deface billboard advertising.  I'm particularly interested in hearing about
artists who actively alter the image and property of corporations (as opposed
to those who recreate parodic representations).  A good example would be the
Billboard Liberation Front in San Francisco, but I'm sure that there are
others.

Towards that end, I wondered if you might be able to suggest some visual
artists/activists who I could interview, or articles/books, websites that talk
about vandalism, graffiti, or alterations of existing corporate images.  I'd
like to be able to draw on as many examples of this work as I can, and
integrate the work of these artists in my research.

thanks so much, in advance, for all of your help!

best,

sonia k.