A Dontigny on Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:23:51 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> no 'email' in .fr: 'courriel'

Funny to see our little neologism travel to France... and then have
it trown back filtered by this unhealthy anti-French bias by the US.

I live in Quebec and "courriel" has effectively replaced "email" in
our media, on websites and in more formal correspondance on the
internet over the last years.

France's everyday urban vocabulary relies hugely on english
borrowings, a lot more than Quebec, a Canadian province with a long
border with the US. Our particular geographic and historic heritage
brought up a different kind of language decadence in the
french-speaking population, mostly syntaxical.

I think the last time a linguistic borrowing from Quebec caused
debate in France was the officialization of gender neologism for
human professions, easily adopted in Quebec over the last decade
("compositrice", "directrice" or "professeure" meaning a woman
occupying the job and not "the director's" or "the composers'"
"spouse"). There was a lot of resistence from part of the linguistic
academia, mostly arguing that the arbitrary "gender" of those words
were directly inherited from latin.

>      [ via <tbyfield@panix.com>]
>
>< http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/6333463.htm >
>
>    Posted on Fri, Jul. 18, 2003