nettime's disinfecta on Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:07:44 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> SPAMandVIRIImakeITdie-digest [Chris Welsh, Morlock Elloi]

   Re: <nettime> Is the Internet Dying?
     "Chris Welsh" <rakista@sbcglobal.net>

   Re: <nettime> Here comes the next MSBlaster
     Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 10:04:45 -0700
From: "Chris Welsh" <rakista@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Is the Internet Dying?

If your isp does not have a good anti-spam solution I have found a program
for windows based on spamassassin but much simpler to use called SAproxy.

http://saproxy.bloomba.com/

Chris Welsh

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:24:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Here comes the next MSBlaster

> 4.  Get Linux or a Mac.

This is naive approach and not the solution. And I certainly hope masses will
not turn to macs as that would fuck up *my* environment.

There used to be virii for macs, native ones. But once macs fell below 10% of
the installed base there was simply no more interest in creating virii for
macs. There has not been a native mac virus (outside msoft environment) for 5-6
years.

Whichever single platform gains significant fraction of the market will become
the target for virii. Don't fool yourselves thinking that unix-based systems
(with or without proprietary user interfaces - and that's what macs are today)
are immune to virii.

There is no solution for the unwashed masses. That is the price of monoculture.
If you want millions that have no real clue what computers are to have a single
"user friednly" OS of choice, than that one becomes the target. That will not
change.

The solution is using an OS/platform that has low adoption. This means no
"Guides for complete idiots" for your platform. No large selection of software.
You will be below the radar for both virus makers and companies offering
"services". You will need to be expert enough to gather or construct your own
tools and maintain your environment. You will also need IQ over 70.

The solution is diveristy of platforms.

I see no reason to bitch about msoft - it's a pretty safe bet to say that any
other OS in msoft's dominance bracket would crumble as quickly, if not quicker.

Things are just fine as they are. Make living by bitching about something else.

Stay away from macs.

=====
end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows:

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com