Florian Cramer on Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:22:55 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Don't Call it Art: Ars Electronica 2003

[admin note: this message was caught in nettime's spamfilter and delayed.
it shouldn't have happened, but it did. sorry.]

Am Montag, 22. September 2003 um 23:25:41 Uhr (+0200) schrieb august:
> First of all, something that had been addressed many times at this years
> README festival, especially by the curators themselves, was that a certain
> kind of drive hides behind this push towards software art.  Some may call
> it an agenda.  Strangely enough the push is coming more from curators and
> writers (most of which have no or little programming experience) rather
> than from the practicing artists.

Being one of the read_me/runme.org "experts" (and ae speakers) myself, I
agree that the term "software art" is a coinage of curators and critics.
But I don't think that's a bad thing at all; all the more since it was a
reaction to a clear, observable trend towards working not only with, but
on software in digital/net art. The earliest literal mention of
"software art" I know of is in Alex Galloway's 1999 writeup "Year in