Brian Holmes on Mon, 6 Oct 2003 04:38:25 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> A Puff Piece on Wikipedia (Fwd)

Keith Hart wrote:

>I think I was saying two cheers for the liberal enlightenment and what it
>bequeathed us, if we would acknowledge our inheritance.

I am ever amazed and puzzled by Keith's confidence in the liberal
enlightenment. I must say I don't share it. Acknowledging that
inheritance seems to me like buying with one's spiritual faculties
into a status quo of inequality, oppression and domination with which
we are, to be sure, objectively complicit, by force of sheer
powerlessness. Such an abandonment of the ability to discern reality
from desire is, to me, unbearable.

Similarly, Michael Goldhaber appears to me eminently reasonable, and
perhaps lacking in historical imagination. Is a civilization like the
current one replaceable? What could possibly motivate people to
answer in the affirmative? Kermit Snelson's justifiable concern with
the state of the Union, whether that lamentable state is attribuable
to Leo Strauss or not, rather bears out the limits of Michael's
reasonableness. For many years, worldly Americans have nodded their
heads, quoted statistics, and pointed to demographic, economic, and
psychosocial explanations that make the decay of our democracy appear
quite plausible and "normal." And look where that has got us. On a
road which appears, in many ways, to defy reason.

still waiting for a little less consensus,

Brian Holmes