Karl-Erik Tallmo on Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:20:06 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> A Puff Piece on Wikipedia (Fwd)

><snip>
>
>It was just an exercise in comparing now and then, here and now. I don't
>have a particular axe to grind. Since I write quite a lot, I think about
>what makes heroes of some writers and how their achievement might be
>grounded in their social practice. Strauusian enough for you, Kermit?
>
>Keith Hart

I think  anonymity versus attribution is not merely a question of
fame and fortune or 'cred', but of a literate culture spinning webs
of ideas with strands which are traceable regarding their sources -
primary, secondary etc. Even the Wiki may obviously account for IP
numbers. We need some instrument for overviewing the revision history
of documents and thus be able to estimate their reliability,
truthfulness or authenticity, which in turn is crucial for their
usefulness. This, BTW, is part of the so often misunderstood moral
aspect of copyright.

Karl-Erik Tallmo

    KARL-ERIK TALLMO, writer, editor

    ARCHIVE: http://www.nisus.se/archive/artiklar.html