Brian Holmes on Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:15:22 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> A Puff Piece on Wikipedia (Fwd)

Michael Goldhaber wrote (speaking of far left and right in the US):

"...on either side, too readily donning this mantle of persecution
and using it as an excuse for anonymity or for covering up one's real
intent undermines any possibility of genuine democracy, and must lead
to a general and debilitating distrust across the board."

Thanks for your reply, Michael, this thread is rather interesting and
the opinions of all are appreciated. The two of us could go on
talking at cross-purposes for a long time, and I suspect it would be
somewhat my fault. Personally, I have always signed my name, and in
the economy of "commentary" and "reasonableness" (of which I am
certainly part) this is the only way to go. At a certain point it may
also become a way to go to jail, which would then be the place for an
honest man, as one of our great literary heros of the American
tradition once said. We're not there yet, apparently not so far from
it either. Personally I will continue in all modesty with the modus
operandi you have eloquently detailed, for want of better options.

But what I have been trying to get at here is this (and I'm sorry to
have been so unclear): I'm amazed and increasingly disappointed about
how little searching doubt is expressed concerning the trends in our
present, Euro-American civilization that point to the unviability of
same over even the medium term (i.e. the upcoming half-century).
Sustained examination leads to further questions as to whether
exchanges of the type we're having now will change anything either.
One would think this kind searching doubt might lead to the
conclusion that other steps are required to change things. One of the
reactions to this kind of frustration is, effectively, to fulminate
insurrection without a signature (as for instance the journal Tiqqun,
and a rather wide spectrum of post-situationists in France). We are
all cybersavvy enough to know how unlikely it is for the identity of
such fulminators to go undiscovered, and we may therefore conclude
that their production must be inconsequential. However, consider
this: the present form of "globalized" Euro-American civilization
depends, actually quite heavily, on a network called the SWIFT
(interbank transfer), just to take a prime example. Who can imagine
unplugging this network, which (along with others) makes the
contemporary financial sphere possible? Under current conditions, one
can hardly imagine even a nation-state doing so, as Bureau d'Etudes
pointed out in their text for the Next 5 Minutes. Is it possible to
imagine a form of collectivity that could "tame" or even do away with
certain systemic phenomena such as the domination of capital via the
systems of quasi-instantaneous financial speculation? In a completely
vague, even lazy (sorry about that) and rather lamely oracular way I
was trying to point to that possibility, when I suggested that there
might be a thought dangerous enough that it would require anonymity.
(Please note that events seem to prove that Mr. Bin Laden's thoughts
are not dengerous enough to change anything, except by polarizing the
situation for the worse and actually lowering the chances of systemic
change: however, the story is till unfolding on that one.)

It seems that such an anti-systemic "thought" will not unfold from a
"personality" which can be located and targeted for neutralization
within the current onomastic system (I could be wrong about that, but
that's what I think). I remain rather curious about the social
formation that could succeed in halting or even slowing the
irreversible ecological damage and mounting social catastrophe which
is being effected by the contemporary (and marginally "enlightened")
pattern of human development. How might such a social formation
develop? How would it escape the many mechanisms which guarantee the
equilibrium of the present system? And how could it remain
self-conscious enough to keep from falling into the millenary,
religious pattern that we associate with apocalyptic fears? (All of
this, by the way, does relate directly to the experiments of
collective authorship currently centering around still-fledgling
technology such as Wikis.)

I find myself required to ask these rather broad questions because I
do not believe, for instance, that Mr. Clinton was particularly
better than Mr. Bush. I think that Mr. Clinton's management of the
capitalist globalization process in the 1990s was disastrous,
followed very closely the pattern set since the early 1980s, led to
September 11 among many other things, and therefore created the
opening for a resurgence of the noxious oligarchy around Mr. Bush,
whose positions in the US are, in any case, structurally very well
established and well defended, seemingly inexpungible within the
present frameworks of humanity's possible self-reflection on its own
evolution.

I realize these kinds of opinions may not be popular and may lead to
outraged accusations that I am something less than a democrat.
Unfortunately (I mean this last word in a strong sense) democracy
also appears to be something less than what it has claimed.

best, Brian Holmes