Nettime on Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:53:00 +0200 (CEST)

[no subject]

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 05:31:55 +0100
From: Benjamin Geer <ben@socialtools.net>
To: Kermit Snelson <ksnelson@subjectivity.com>
Cc: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
Subject: Re: <nettime> New Media Education and Its Discontent

Kermit Snelson wrote:
> Patronage is an affair of the élite.  If their employees,
> the intellectuals, have higher prestige among the "common people" in
> Europe than they do in the USA, that is probably because titled nobility
> and aristocracy are still present there as they are not in the USA,
> which was in fact founded by a revolution against that sort of thing.

It seems strange to characterise the American revolution as an effort to
eliminate the privileges of elites, since it was conducted by the
wealthiest men in the colonies.

By contrast, the King of Yugoslavia surrendered in 1944 to communist
partisans, whose leader, Tito, came from a peasant family.  Yet when my
Croatian friends talk about the education they received in Yugoslavia in
the 1970s and 80s, it sounds much like what exists in Western Europe
today: it was taken for granted that the judgement and opinions of
students were vastly inferior to those of professors.  Until 1987, free
university education was available to anyone who could pass the
requisite exams.  And despite a certain amount of censorship, it seems
that intellectual life flourished.

In France, I think it's safe to say that high intellectual standards are
widely considered to be a key element of *republican* (i.e. democratic)
principles, and are strongly associated with the Englightenment
intellectuals who are seen as having inspired the 1789 revolution.

Ben