Keith Hart on Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:48:58 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> A Puff Piece on Wikipedia (Fwd)

"text warez" wrote:

>you completly misunderstood the role of an author. <

There is no identification of the person addressed as "you", but I will
fill in. What interests me is that you think there is only one role of the
author and that whoever doesn't share your idea of it has "misunderstood".
You didn't have to give clues to the genealogy of your line (Nietzsche,
Derrida, Foucault -- why not list all the usual suspects?). This line on
authorship is a key plank in the case for denying personal responsibility,
first principle of the anti-liberal movement. After all, the ones who count
are just ghost writers in the machine, so why bother? Each to their own
alienation, but there is no need to be sectarian about it.

I agree that individual authorship can be over-rated and I am writing
against the idea of intellectual property that has become the general
justificiation for corporate private property. We are all in a long
conversation about a better human society. I still pay attention to some
voices that you find it convenient to ignore. This thread has been quite a
vindication for the free cooperation and exchange that nettime makes
possible. Let's hear it for commons-based peer production (Brian Holmes,
personal communication).

>You can fool some of the people all of the time
And you can fool all of the people some of the time
But you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Abraham Lincoln said that.
You can be in my dream if I can be in yours.
And I said that.

Talking World War III Blues
Bob Dylan

There is no need to feel guilty just because they only hand out brains one
at a time.And my friend Jim Murray said that.

Keith Hart